Air hose acquisition

Can anyone tell me where to obtain a Miata air hose for a 1.6l engine?

DonB

Reply to
Don Benton

Which air hose are you talking about? Is it the main air intake hose from the filter box?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Absolutely. It's from the filter box to the air resonator assembly. It's round on one end and oblong on the other. Lost 3lbs of boost, and investigation revealed a 3" crack in the accordian section of the hose. It's the stock hose retained with the Greddy turbo setup for a '91 1.6l. Just put in a request to Junkyarddog since I've been striking out with some reputable places (i.e., Trussville, GoMiata, etc.). It's proving to be a real challenge.

DonB '91 white

Reply to
Don Benton

Well, you might reasonably expect that with a part that hasn't been made for 13 years. There are also aftermarket alternatives that eliminate the weakness of accordion pleats.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have an air hose for both a 1.6 liter and a 1.8 liter, but I can only find one of them right now and I wasn't quite smart enough to mark which was which. Can you tell from these pics which one this is? It is in very good condition.

I chose the pictures background especially for Leon, thought he might like to see it again. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's a 1.6 crossover tube. The 1.8 is straight, with its Helmholtz resonator in the middle.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ahh, not the part he's looking for? At least I know which car it came from now and exactly what it is, thanks!

Is the air hose that he is talking about the one that actually leads into the air filter box from outside the car?

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

No such animal on a Miata. The NA airbox is fed by a snorkel that draws air from inside the engine bay.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've had a cold air intake of some sort on almost all of the miatas that I have dealt with for so long that I had forgotten the original arrangement. The car that this piece came off of had a weapon R cone filter on it, so I haven't seen a completely stock setup in a while.

I probably have the air tube he is looking for, unless it was something that was replaced by the aftermarket air filter. I am trying to figure out exactly what part it is that he needs.

Don, do you have a picture of the part that I can try to match up?

Thanks again Lanny,

Pat

Reply to
pws

Actually, the parts shown in the pic posted by pws both seem to have the section I'm seeking. Unless I misinterpreted the pics, they look like mine, which is a two-piece assembly. The section with the bellows is attached to the resonator section with an oblong hose clamp, and is the part I need. It's the section on the right in your pics (and thanks for posting them!).

While I'm on the subject though, could someone please explain the reason for the resonator and the fact that I never notice one on cars with intercooler setups?

Thanks, guys.

DonB '91

Reply to
Don Benton

Don, e-mail me off-list if you want to work something out. I am not looking to get rich off of this part and I would be glad if it can help you. I have a couple of people here who are patiently, (or maybe impatiently), waiting for a couple of small parts that I have not removed yet.

I could send this part out, however, as soon as Tuesday since I have already taken it off of the car.

For those that are waiting, I am going back out to bang my knuckles in just a minute, so it won't be that much longer. The dash on the '96M is proving to be a bit difficult to remove because of a couple of stripped screws, I am going to have to tap them out.

Dunno, but I bet someone here does.

No problem,

Pat

Reply to
pws

The resonator helps fill out a droop in lower-midrange response (~3500 rpm, IIRC). With boosted cars, intake tuning is pretty much irrelevant; the benefits of intercoolers far outweigh their loss in efficiency. Besides, at 12 psi, who cares?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I'm running one of those low-bux Greddy setups at around 6 psi; don't have an intercooler yet, but do have Vortex fuel management. Would there be any problems with running a plain silicon hose and dispensing with the canister section?

DonB

Reply to
Don Benton