Airbag light cancelation?

Is there a way to cancel out the airbag light? I have a 1991 miata the car was previously in a frontend colision prior to my ownership. I am looking to restore the car to its glory. However the airbag light stays on due to an aftermarket momo steering wheel that was installed "junk". If anyone knows of any tricks or shorting out ways to make this light stay off please say.

Reply to
Myrone Bagalay

Myrone Bagalay wrote in:

Did you pull the fuse?

Reply to
XS11E

I hate to admitt it but untill I rectify the situation (flashing 10 times) I've covered the darn thing with a pc of black electrical tape. Not proud of it, just being honest, couldn't stand the flashing any more.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris D'Agnolo wrote in:

Black tape works great!

Now see if pulling the fuse will get rid of the light.

Reply to
XS11E

One page you might look at is

If you decide to take off the instrument cluster, I recommend dropping the steering wheel a bit. (There are two big bolts hidden behind the panel and wires below the steering wheel column.) For the rest, I believe the procedure is somewhere in the garage section on miata.net. Be careful with the printed circuit board behind the instrument cluster.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I got it! just take off the bezel like this guy says 2 screws holding it on then take out the cluster find the one that happens to be the air bag light unplug it then take out the bulb and plug the fixture back in! ITS NOW PERMENANTLY OFF! Ive also found the two air bag blue boxes made by ford under the dash which ive removed. Anyone need an airbag box? $50 for all of them that ive found.

Reply to
Myrone Bagalay

Why don't you save them, and give them to the hapless victim that buys your car used?

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

A hapless victim unable to see that there is no airbag in the steering wheel?

While it would be great for safety, is anyone really going to put a new airbag and steering wheel on a 15 year old Miata?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Yes.

Probably not, but a person buying a car ought to *know* if the airbag and airbag problem have been intentionally disabled.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Don't agree. Someone

1) unable to see at a glance that a Momo steering wheel has no airbag, or 2) unable to figure out that an airbag not in a car does not offer protection should not buy a car at all. Or if they do, experience the full impact of Darwinian selection for the increased safety of the rest of us.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Because im not planning on selling the car its on the path of being a spec race car.

Reply to
Myrone Bagalay

I used to race corolla's now im working with mx-5's

Reply to
Myrone Bagalay

Fair enough.

Dana