alignment question - Lanny

Lanny, I took the alignment numbers from your web page and had my alignment done. The technicians gave me the following information. I am not sure that I am reading it correctly, but I am pretty sure that they did not match your numbers. Do I now have front toe in and rear toe out? I was also wondering why the toe is different for the left and right on the front. The last time I had my alignment done there they really seemed to know what they were doing, but now they have new people working and I don't know if they are experienced with alignments.

Thanks,

Pat '96M

Front:

Caster: Left 4.52° Right 4.66°

Camber: Left -1.22° Right -0.96°

Toe: Left -1/16" Right -1/32" Total -3/32

Rear:

Camber: Left -1.76° Right -1.76°

Toe: Left 1/16" Right 1/16" Total 1/8"

Thrust angle 0.00°

Reply to
pws

Why not ask them? There's no universal definition for plus/minus, so all I can say is that one end appears to be wrong.

Now that the newbies have had a little practice, perhaps they'd be interested in doing it again for real?

That just means the steering wheel won't be exactly centered when you're running straight ahead, and the amount is trivial. I'd be more unhappy with the uneven front camber, though it's not bad enough to be hazardous. And the possibiity of rear toe out, of course.

How does it drive?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You have front toe out and rear toe in.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'll ask them tomorrow about the toe in/toe out, it's definitely going back in. The car seems much more "darty" to me on the highway than I remember and it is also oversteering quite a bit more than the last time it was aligned. Thanks again,

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Thanks Leon, the page that you sent explains it as simply as can be.

"Toe in is recorded as positive toe angle and toe out is negative."

Is there an advantage to having the front toe out while the rear toe is in?

Thanks,

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Yes, especially for your tire manufacturer. :)

I don't think your alignment is too bad, but don't complain to me if your tires wear out quickly.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen