another general car question

I have a car that will not start with the battery, but will jump start.

The battery in the car is fine, brand new and tested perfect. I even took the battery from the car that did the jump starting to test it and nothing.

The lights and other electronics come on, but there is no reaction to the key at all unless it is being jumped. Once the cables are hooked up, it starts with no hesitation at all.

This is probably a stupid question, but on the chance that I am missing something obvious, could this be anything other than the battery not being properly grounded until it is being jumped?

I have cleaned all of the contacts. I am guessing that the jump start grounds everything through the other car. Is this correct? Car electronics in general are not my strongest area. Where would you start with this one?

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

The heavy cables to the battery can be corroded inside the clamps, if the cable ends are the clamp-on type. If that's the case, perhaps the pressure of the jumper cables is making them contact. You clean them with baking soda just like a battery post, sometimes I file them a little.

Sometimes the positive wire has both a heavy cable and a smaller one on it, be sure both are clamped and connecting well. The little one might be running the solenoid.

Try starting it with the jumper cables on but no jump battery, just to see if the jumper clamp pressure is what's making it work.

Are you putting the minus connection on the battery or on the frame?

I don't think grounding to the other car has anything to do with it.

miker

Reply to
miker

Assuming you're using the recommendedjumper cabling from + to + and - to chassis ground: try running a cable from the problem battery to chassis ground.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst