any lease return experience with Mazda in Canada?

Hi

I am thinking about taking over smb's lease for Mazda MPV . There is 15 months left, and I don't know yet whether I want to return the car at the end or I would buy it out. Just wanted to ask if anybody had an experience returning Mazda after lease. One of my collegues had really bad experience with that. Delership charged him $250 disposition fee and after the inspection provided him a list of things to be fixed roughly for $2500. He ended up eventually with buying the car. I didn't see in what condition his car was and therefore whether it was justified or not, just know that his tires did not match the original ones (the afterinspection bill was not for tires only of course) I am just trying to understand whether it is a general trend with Mazda or Mazda Canada or maybe the dealership where he was doing that just try to rip him off

Thanks ED P.S. could you please cc your reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com?

Reply to
eugenedruy

My observation is that leases are rarely a good deal for the consumer, that they're inherently expensive. The consumer pays a lot of money in order to have somewhat reduced cashflow. Basically, a lease results in the consumer paying the depreciation on the car and then giving the car back. The lease contract will do everything it can to maximize the obligation of the consumer.

Lease contracts can be quite restrictive; that fine- print is not there to protect the consumer. Take the time to re-read the fine-print *now* and make sure you do whatever you can to avoid obligating yourself to the dealer at the termination of the lease.

Further, make an itemized list of the items that you're obligated to pay to the dealer at termination and refuse to pay anything you're not obligated to pay.

I do not know the specifics of how one appeals the judgement of a dealer with respect to condition of the vehicle at the termination of the lease. It's quite possible that the fine-print in the lease contract already spells out a process which contains no appeal.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dana H. Myers