Any recommendations for an MP3 player?

Im looking for a replacement for my factory cd/tape/tuner as it seems to have died.

Here are the features I need:

aux input mp3 (preferably rw as well as CD-R capable) Easy install Works well with the headrest and door speakers.

If anyone has a specific model that they like - that'd be great.

TIA

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hunter

I forgot to add:

I saw a really cool installation of an iPod in the M1 ashtray.

ANy one have any links/experience with this?

Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hunter

I just recently plugged an Audiovox/Rampage uint (Model ACD-91) into my ride. Install was easy, once I cleared out a half inch or so of extra space in the radio hole - the 626 has a teensy radio bay...

Unit is MP3 capable, cheerfully reads any disk I've put in it so far, doesn't skip except on the very worst stretches of road (despite making no claims abotu containing any anti-skip technology) and basically works great. It has aux inputs, a subwoofer output, hookups for attaching (and controls for operating) an external CD changer, removable faceplate, ID3 tag savvy (Just make sure you use ID3 v2.3 tags - 1.x and > 2.4 don't seem to be recognized, but at least it doesn't choke on them) and overall, makes me happy. It ain't exactly top of the line, but it did give one of the local "riceboys" a serious case of stereo-envy - He's got a $450 pioneer unit in his ride, that (so he claims) doesn't have half the functionality my littel 90 dollar audiovox does. I thought that rather amusing.

About the only real "downside" to the rig is the font they used for the display - It's not as readable as it could have easily been. The thing has a big (3/4" high by 3" long) dot-matrix LCD display that looks to be finely pitched enough to handle any font someone wants to use it to display, but they opted for some trendy "techno" style typeface that's not really all that readable. Don't get me wrong - you can read it, but it's a goofy font that you have to "work at" a little to read. Personally, I would have preferred something a little less "trendy", since the looks of the display don't impress me at all. I'm more interested in the sound it pushes through the speakers than how "stylish" the display is.

No, I don't sell audiovoxes, or work for anybody who does. I just like the one I've got. Fairly cheap, lotsa neat "toys", sounds good, easy to install...

Reply to
Don Bruder

I recently replaced the stock CD player in my M1 with a connection for an iPod or any other portable audio device. Installation wasn't hard and total cost was around $20 (not including the iPod). I'll be glad to send you details if your interested.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

2004.
Reply to
Jim Untch

That would be great

ghhATmacdotcom

Reply to
Greg Hunter

I am interested! ~Cissy snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Expmiata

Me too! And if it's OK with you I'll type up a web page and put it on a server too. That sounds like a thing a lot of people woiuld like to do. It sounds ideal; nothing for thieves to cut their way in and steal, because every time I park the car the stereo would come with me in my pocket.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
johnny phenothiazine

Me too snipped-for-privacy@writeme.com

Reply to
scGram

Hum. I soldered in line inputs to the stock 1990-95 radio, and have a Zen on there. But I have to admit that nowadays I just tend to leave it in the flimsy glove box. Not that the sturdiness of the glove box makes a difference; I found today that I had left it unlocked since the party Friday evening. In addition I leave the car doors unlocked and I left the top down a lot this week. The Zen was still there anyway.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'll send you an email.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Why not just post the details here in the newsgroup?

Im interested as well.

Reply to
me6

A full response would be a big file (including photos) and I thought it better to take WDK up on the offer to post it on a web site. But, since you asked here it is with out photos.

The following outlines how to replace the stock CD player (or short plug if a stock CD player is not installed) with an input for an external audio device such as an MP3 player. Information for this project was obtained from the rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata newsgroup as well as

The solution is to simply replace the stock CD player with a normally closed

1/8" stereo phono jack (see photo at right and wiring diagram below) connected to a 13 pin DIN plug. When nothing is plugged into the phono jack, it acts just like the short plug that is used when the CD player is not installed (i.e., the output signals are returned to the head unit by the closed contacts in the phono jack and the radio and cassette play normally). Plugging a 1/8" phono plug into the jack disconnects the output signals from the head unit and connects the signals from the phono plug to the input to the head unit.

You should be able to find a 1/8" Normally Closed Stereo Phono Jack at any electronics parts store (e.g., Radio Shack part number 274-246). However, the 13 pin DIN plug is harder to find. One source is

(part number CP-1013-ND). The phono jack and DIN plug should be connected using shielded cabling. If you can't find 5 conductor shielded cable you can cut the ends off of a 5 pin male DIN to 5 pin male DIN cable (e.g., part number

42-2151 from Radio Shack). The length of the cable needed depends on where you plan on mounting the phono jack.

The cable is constructed by connecting the left and right input and output pins of the DIN plug to the respective connections on the phono jack. For the parts listed above, the pins are connected as listed below:

Head Unit Signal DIN pin # Phono Jack Connection

Left Output 1 3

Left Input 2 2

Right Output 3 4

Right Input 4 5

Signal Ground 5 1

The connections on both the phono jack and DIN plug are small so you will need to be careful and use good soldering technique (e.g., tin the connections and wire ends before final soldering). You will also need to cover the ground wire to ensure that it does not short any of the connections.

If you have not already done so, you can correct the common power-on problem of the stock head unit by connecting pin numbers 5 and 11 with a resistor as suggested by David Thompson as at

The final question is where to install the phono jack. Some obvious choices include either of the glove boxes. These are attractive locations since the player or other input device can be left out of sight. Also, a power connection (using pin #7 of the DIN plug) could also be installed in either of these locations. Another option is to install the phono jack in the little punch out on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel that covers the mounting bolts for the center console. This is out of the way and allows the MP3 player to be mounted on the dash or in the storage bin under the head unit.

Parts:

a.. 1/8" Stereo Phono Jack (RadioShack part number 274-246) = $2.99 b.. 13 pin DIN plug (Digi-Key part number CP-1013-ND) = $1.65 plus shipping c.. 5 conductor shielded audio cable (I cut the ends off of a 5 pin male DIN to 5 pin male DIN cable from RadioShack, part number 42-2151 = $5.99 Total Cost is about $15 including shipping of DIN plug.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

I would really like the link to the website when you get it, please.

thanks! Cissy snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Expmiata

I'm interested! I have a 2000, but I'm still interested in what you did and how you did it. To e-mail me, note that my address is kendall and my ISP's domain name is his.com. Combine them with '@' and you're all set. ;-)

Thanks, Kendall

Reply to
Kendall P. Bullen