Anyone done the S2000 starter install?

I'm just curious if anyone has installed the Honda S2000 push button starter. I know there is a tutorial on miata.net but my question is about the safety of this install? Is there anything to keep someone from just tearing off the top and driving away in your car? Do you still need the key for the starter to activate?

Any input would be great. If anyone has done it, do you like it?

Dmoney

Reply to
dmoney

There is? Ah yes, there it is:

"Get in the car, turn the key to ignition, and listen to the fuel pump pressurize the system while you put on your four-point harnesses. Once you're ready to go, depress the clutch and thumb that Big Red Button. You'll feel the car come to life under your touch, and your face will break into a grin. I promise. Well, I can't promise the four-point harnesses or the 2-second boot-up time of an FM ECU - that's just what it's like in MY car. But let's look at how to get the BRB into yours. The parts list is on the last page, so you know what it's all for."

The big red starter button I had and now the K.G. Works center both require the key. So does the Keith Tanner one, according to the citation above.

Nor does driving with a locked steering wheel appeal to the average thief, though brute force might be able to break the lock, I understand.

The BRB I had initially gave me some problems when it lost its earth, but the K.G. Works is essential equipment. :)

A thief might grab my key and try to make off with my car, but it would probably take him half an hour to figure out why turning the key does not start the car and how to do it. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen