Anyone get a VF Engineering Supercharger for Xmas?

The VF kit looks great, in that:

1) It's a centrifugal compressor. 2) Stock exhaust shield and STB seem to be intact, unmodified.

Issues:

1) Need to send ECU in for chip re-work. Ugh.

Questions:

1) CA CARB EO# ?

Looks like a great kit, it might explain why I've seen some downward pressure on the price of the JRSC kits.

Cheers - Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

However, the positive-displacement FM Ubercharger1 is only $3k, fits all

1.8 Miatas (not just the NB), and has a better upgrade path. Installation probably takes a bit longer, but check out its dyno chart on the FM website--flat as Kansas. Torquasaurus rex!
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Actually, I have a memory that they are problematic. I think it was reliability issues.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Presumably an issue specifically with the Vortech compressors?

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Don't know. Maybe I am just wrong. MacInnes says the problem is that they must be driven at very high speed.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

My pal around the corner has a Vortech s/c on his Mustang GT. It is belt-driven on the front of the engine and contains a transmission to spin the compressor at very high speed. At idle, the S/C makes a distinctive whistling sound, not unlike a jet engine at idle.

Certainly he's had no problem with reliability of the compressor in over a year, for whatever that is worth ;-).

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

I had one installed this summer. It runs beautifully but the boost comes on from 4500 to 7000+. It really screams. Feels like a sleeper. Only problem was some software problems from VF engineering but Nick, the owner, was helpful. Problems in mine was that it was too new (2004) and they didn't have software changes for it. It does whistle and I love that sound!

Reply to
Bernard

I had one installed this summer. It runs beautifully but the boost comes on from 4500 to 7000+. It really screams. Feels like a sleeper. Only problem was some software problems from VF engineering but Nick, the owner, was helpful. Problems in mine was that it was too new (2004) and they didn't have software changes for it. It does whistle and I love that sound!

Reply to
Bernard

Result of not having a fixed displacement pump. Boost is low at low rpm but increases quadratically with engine rpm.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen