Australians, what can be done about crap fuel?

Been having intermittent pinging problems for months on my wife's '94 MX5. Eventually we realized it only pinged badly when using fuel from a particular local station. The differance is quite obvious, with this fuel, it pings disturbingly pretty much right through the rev range, fill up somewhere else & it's fine. The motor has done 120K, and is in overall good condition, I have not checked timing to see if it has been "tweaked" at all.

Who can I call to get a spot check made? Looks like they are topping up with kero or acetone or something.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Mal, how many Aussie's do we have that frequent here would you guess? We should start a thread, "where are you from?" That could be pretty cool.

Chris

99BBB (Texas)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

On the other hand, There's quite a large contingent of Aussies at

(And we love 'em all)

Reply to
Remove This

There are fuel standards and it sounds as though the "crap" fuel is of a lower octane rating than what might be posted on the pump (making a neat extra profit for the seller).

"A supplier or producer found guilty of supplying 'off-spec' fuel may face penalties of up to $550,000."

Compliance with fuel standards is enforced by the Department of the Environment and Water Resources. Brilliant what can be accomplished with a simple Google search of "Australia motor fuel standards" .

You can read their entire spiel at:

John McGaw

Nice work John!

Somewhere here in the US I heard something about a company who was caught with thier pumps miscalculated (to the customers detriment). They allegidly bilked thier customers out of ~ $1.25 million. They were hit with a $500,000 fine. Hmmmmm, that'll teach 'um, eh? I'd have liked to see them have to give away $1 million in free gas before they could start charging for the stuff again. Now THAT would be a deterant!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo