Automatic '02?

I just drove an automatic '02 on a whim, and I am shocked that I really liked it. I must be getting old, and yes, I am a girl, but there were some things about it I really liked. For example, it seemed much less noisier and the front end didn't have that slight shaking around the way I notice on the manuals.

The seats on the 02 (cloth) seemed more comfy than on the 99 and 00's I test drove. (Or is that in my imagination?)

Anyway, I am thinking about buying it, but I feel a little embarassed for liking it. Auto trans on a Miata doesn't seem to make sense. I've never had an automatic car before. It takes much less effort to drive, but I could also see myself getting frustrated not being able to control the rpms.

Somebody help me come to terms with this or not.

Reply to
Curly

Friend of mine in London, who owns and constantly amuses himself re-re-restoring, a beautiful '65 BRG Lotus Elan, bought a new Mini for the work commute. Dyed-in-the-wool motorcycle/sports car/monthly rally guy. He bought . . . an automatic. Now, granted, the Mini has that nice little sports-shift, '+ / -' flick switch linkage that makes gear selection viable; but still, it's a slush box.

And he loves it.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS (5-speed)

Reply to
McMahon

I just sold my 94 Auto bought mostly so my ex-wife ... which was OK... got the 99 AN 6 speed... what a difference!! Now I can drive it, and it not drive me... wow got rid of 48 year old wife and auto Miata in the same move.

Reply to
steelyRon

Front end shaking has nothing to do with the transmission, just car year and age. Nor do the seats have anything to do with the transmission. Maybe the automatic transmission makes less noise than the manual; if so, I don't know why.

I would not want an automatic transmission myself under any circumstances, but a lot of people swear by them.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

So does the front end start to shake on all the Miatas eventually? What causes it?

Reply to
Curly

There's a chassis/suspension harmonic vibration at around 65 MPH that has been reported by many in all Miatae of all years. It can be exacerbated by out-of-round or out-of-balance tires and wheels, and by worn shocks--my '90 exhibits this to a slight degree, I kind of like it, it adds character to the beast.

However other than this sympathetic cowl shake I am not away of any universal "front end starts to shake" problems, barring wear or failure of some suspension component(s). My '90 is rock steady, other than a wee bit of 65 MPH shake, all the way to 100 MPH+ .

Reply to
Cliff Knight

OK, I just test drove an '02 with a 5 speed and the sport suspension package and I loved it. It was really exhilerating. Forget the automatic. What was I thinking. I think I just want a Miata period.

Reply to
Curly

Bingo! Welcome to the club, Curly.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

All of the car becomes less tight over time due to wear and tear. In particular, the point welds in the plate iron become looser. This is not specific to a Miata.

A Miata does have a poorly damped vibrational mode at about 33 and 65 mph. Bracing that reduces it depends on model year and hardtop. If the wheels are out of round or balance, it greatly increases this shimmy. Obviously, wheels and brake disks are more likely to be out-of-spec on an older car than on a new one.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen