Battery Light always on

When the light first came on, I had the alternator serviced, voltage regulator changed, etc. The repair shop told me it was all working fine now but the light continued to shine and he didn't know why. The voltage to the battery was the same when I took it in as when I picked up the car - around

15.3Volts. Silly me for thinking it was too high. I always thought 14.8Volts was what it should be. Anyhow, anybody have any ideas what is causing the light to stay on? Perhaps a relay somewhere, broken wire, etc.?? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Mike

There is a key piece of information missing-- The model year of your Miata! Different model years & NA vs. NB use different schemes and hardware to control the Alternator. In the old days, from your complaint, it would be assumed that your regulator is suspect, or there is a wiring problem. Some years use an alternator that is controlled by of all things, the instrument panel module. Others have a separate regulator. There are some variations that make the alternator year or part year specific. I don't even want to get into differences between US, European, Japaness, and other market area variations. It's also quite possible that a blocking diode is bad, and the real problem is to find it. Finally, some Mazda models will turn on the alternator light if a brake light bulb is bad or have a poor connection. It's best to have a wiring diagram in hand when chasing this sort of problem, unless you enjoy being frustrated.

Reply to
Chuck