Best way to add horsepower without voiding warranty?

I have a 2007 PRHT MX-5 and would like to add some more power but I dont want to void the warranty. Is that request mutually exclusive?

I would like to add a bolt on exhaust, cold air intake and if possible a bolt on turbo unit, preferably all of those would be made specifically for the above model.

Doable?

Reply to
SINNER

Use the gearbox to keep the engine above 4000 rpm. It's free, and yields a larger increase than bolt-on doodads.

Seriously, in theory, aftermarket modifications like exhausts should only void the warranty on the part(s) replaced, plus other parts that suffer additional stress. In fact, you should run your plans past your service manager, who will be making the decision whether or not to apply the warranty if something fails. I doubt you'll get more than 10 hp by changing both intake and exhaust, which doesn't seem worthwhile to me; as far as I know there's no turbo kit available yet.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers
  • Lanny Chambers wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do just that (ask the service manager).

Reply to
SINNER

The dealers have a great deal of latitude. Some will say that any modification voids the warrenty, others take less extreme views. In the event of a disagreement, law and Mazda policy take over. In otherwords, allow enough time and milage to accumulate before you modify, on the premise that the time and milage should be enough to determine that you do or don't have problems that the warrenty will cover. Note: Modifications also can kill aftermarket or extended warrenties.

Reply to
Chuck

Also, keep in mind that service managers change! That's a scary thought eh? I would suggest (as I think Lanny is) that you really learn to get all you can out of your car BEFORE you worry about modding it. Power is not what I would consider the weak point of the NC. Of course some would say it's underpowered but those same folks would still say that if it had 50hp more! I remember getting a ride (unfortunately, shotgun) in a friends Mustang Cobra (probably 2005 model or so) with upwards of 300hp. He actually turned off his AC for the drive because he said it robbed too much power! I thought that was pretty funny as I'd been doing that in my '92 for some time! Anyway, I'd suggest using the full range of the motor and tightening up the suspension and you've got a pretty sweet car till the warranty expires (and the turbo kits hit the market!).

Have fun, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yeah, power is all relative. NC is slow (esp. straight-line) compared to that Cobra or a Boxster S or an Elise. OTOH I'd love it if my NB could do a 6.5 0-60. Heck, I'd take 7.5. I am happy with my car but it seems a bit lame that I can't count on beating a Camry off the line if it decides to get frisky.

Reply to
earache

Exactly the reason I put a SC on my NA. My previous CRX Si was noticeable faster. After a still earlier 75 MGB and 60s or so DC, I felt I had done all the slow accelerating anyone could reasonably expect. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I believe my Mazdaspeed will do 0-60 in the 6.5 to 7 second range. But I couldn't imagine thrashing it in that way. Where it's nice is barreling out of corners with the tach sweeping past 4k. That never fails to put a smile on my face. Having said that, many cars are faster than my car. In a straight line anyway :-).

Reply to
Carbon

That sounds about right. Mine will break 6 seconds, maybe closer to 5.5 with a good hookup, but like you said, why?

The thing I love most about the additional power is the fact that I can blow past 99%+ of the vehicles that doesn't want to let me in as I enter the highway. That wasn't possible in the last Miata.

It also just makes it a bit more like driving a motorcycle, there are some times when accelerating quickly can save your butt as much as braking quickly.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Geez, I've never noticed that problem with my '95 R. There's this stick-thingy with a knob on the end just below your right hand that can be quite useful.

Well, a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more like a bike... 8;)

-- Larry

'01 Aprilia Mille SL Falco '02 Honda 919 (commuter bike) '84 Interceptor 500 (small emergency backup bike) '95 Miata R, modified '02 BMW 325i, sport pkg, etc. (wife's car) '01 Caterham Superlight '72 Elden FF '08 WCM Ultralight (coming soon)

Reply to
pltrgyst

Larry, I haven't been downshifting for as long as you have, but I have been practicing it for over 20 years. I understand the whole stick-thingy with a knob on the end. :-)

However, it doesn't do much good when that automatic transmission Accord with the V6 or that pickup truck with the V8 has almost as much or more acceleration than you can squeeze out of a stock Miata no matter how high you rev it.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Just raggin' on you. 8;)

Alas, so few do. I count myself extraordinarily lucky to have married a woman who prefers driving a manual transmission, even here inside the DC beltway.

I find the whole key to merging safely from an on ramp is: make sure you've got a gap ahead on the ramp, so that you don't have to stop at the end of the ramp; nail it in third, so that your speed is *higher* (by ~10 mph) than the traffic with which you're going to merge; and then merge under *decelleration*.

It always amazes me how many quite successful SCCA racer-types are not attentive enough on the road to do that. Scares the hell out of me to ride with them away from the track.

I have never noticed a shortage of power in my Miata on the road -- but although I tend to push it really hard around corners, etc., I don't drag race Vettes at stop lights. My self-challenge is to try to get there quicker than anyone else, with absolute minimum use of the brakes. 8;)

Now the Caterham does tend to have very much the maneuvering capabilities of a bike, which is really overkill for the street. And the Ultralite is going to be every more extreme in this regard -- but I'm resigned to having to deal with it. Sigh.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Heh-heh. :-)

I taught the ex how to drive a standard. Maybe that is why she is an ex.

Exactly, why do so many people not realize this?

Yeah, my last one had *enough* power, but I don't mind a bit extra. I would like the car to have roughly 180 to 200 hp from the factory, which isn't asking that much from today's engines, and is just a bit more than the Mazdaspeed.

I feel your pain......or wish I did.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Whoa, Pat, you're a couple of steps ahead of reality here. For too many drivers, the whole concept of planning ahead--for ANYTHING--comes perilously close to distracting them from their essential multitasking function. Are you some kind of deviated un-American prevert or sumpin'?!

[multitasking: cellphone in one ear, iPod in the other.]
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sorry about that, I get stuck in "the place I ought to be" instead of "The place that I am" every once in a while. :-)

What's worse is that these are only some of the the latest gadgets.

We still have makeup being applied and hair primping, (now by both women and men), eating, smoking, digging through the glove box for that latest CD, and the other million other things that a driver should not be using their hands or attention for while driving.

Pat

Reply to
pws

As an owner of a modified Mazdaspeed, I can vouch for a quick 0-60 time. I never have problems finding my way through traffic.

Reply to
shawnhadd

Modifications? Which ones? I would like to get the Flyin' Miata intake kit, and downpipe and exhaust.

The incredibly short gearing also hurts acceleration times. With the kind of midrange turbos have there's no need to be shifting into 3rd as you clear an intersection. I often do 1-2-4-6 commuting to work.

Reply to
Carbon

"Incredibly short"? I'd say that my '95 R's 5-speed ratios are pretty near optimal. There's not one I'd like to change for the street (for track days, I'd dump the overdrive 5th and make it 1:1, spacing the lower four appropriately).

Now "incredibly short" to me is two "first" gears, two "second" gears, and a short "third" gear in my FF's Hewland when it's set up for autocross...

Flat out in top it'll do around 75. 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

The 6-speed in the MSM is a different animal.

3.76:1, 2.27:1, 1.65:1, 1.26:1, 1.00:1, 0.84:1

Carbon

Yes, but so is the final drive ratio.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers