Big Miata Problem- Update

Last I wrote my 2000 Miata was broken down (stopped running and would not start) and towed to a dealer in Shreveport, LA. After changing out the fuel pump relay and computer to no avail, they diagnosed the problem as damage to the fusebox and wiring somehow caused by the after market alarm. They wanted to replace the wiring harness which would not be covered by my extended warranty, at a cost of approx. $3,000.

I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where the car was purchased. They quickly found the problem- the bolts holding the A/C compressor to the bracket had worked loose and fallen out. When the A/C was turned on, the compressor came forward and broke off the crankshaft positioning sensor. Replaced same and car now ok. They did have to replace the computer, but only because the other dealer had shorted it out in their troubleshooting attempt. The dealer found no damage to the wiring and nothing wrong with the alarm. They fixed everything under warranty, cost $ zero. Go figure!

Clark Smith

Reply to
Clark Smith

This was at an authorized Mazda dealer?

Wow. One dealer did the right job, and the other dealer is stunningly incompetent. Then they wonder why I don't want to take my car in for a $35 oil change.

I had a similar experience with a 2-week Geo Prism once. Stunning incompetence at an authorized dealer.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Did the imbecile's in La charge you anything ? If so, I hope you offered to sue them unless they provide a full refund..

Glad to hear your car is running again though. It's always tough to know if dealers like them are crooks, or just incompetent. Either way, the whole thing should be reported to Mazda corp. The only way there is a chance of wiping out dealers like this is if they know about them.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I'm not sure I can say I agree stongly enough. Write a letter to Mazda Customer Service with copies to both dealers.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

"Clark Smith" wrote

Memorable scene from National Lampoon's Vacation. Clark Griswold asks the mechanic how much is the repair bill ..."How much you got?" is the answer. Yep, you don't want to break down on the road.

Reply to
L. Santer

Clark,

What Houston dealer was this, we should give them big POSITIVE attention for this, as much as the LA place should get NEGITIVE!

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Clark,

I, too, would like to know the name of the Houston dealer that you went to.

Reply to
Thomas Misek

Here's Clark's reply to me:

Houston dealer is Jeff Haas Mazda. Have sent them a nice thank you.

Clark Smith

Chris

92BB&T

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

This is great to hear. Jeff Haas Mazda is where I bought my Miata and where I also have is serviced. They are straight shooters in the service dept.

Reply to
Thomas Misek