Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

I have a 1999 Miata MX5 that recently has started to have the 15 amp fuse that serves the horn and brake lights (and I'm sure a few more things) blow occassionally. As this is intermittent, I'm struggling on where to start looking. Anyone had a similar problem and can give me a clue as to where to start looking for the problem?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mazda99

Are you using the stock horn? It is not uncommon for air horns to blow the 15 amp fuse.

Reply to
Natman

As far as I know, this is the original horn. I bought my Miata used and there were no other customizations, so I'd expect it's the original horn. As there are other things on this circuit, it may not be the horn.

I've been trying to find the conditions that make it blow. I've put a new fuse in the morning, driven the car to work and everything is fine. Once I come out in the heat of the day, it's still fine until I drive it for the first time (for only a few minutes)- after which it's blown again. Don't know yet if this is a pattern or not, just what I discovered today.

Keep the clues coming. I'll be going hard at trying to find the short this weekend and any list of best places to start would be appreciated. I also don't have a wiring diagram for this, unfortunately - does anyone have a diagram of this circuit?

Thanks,

John

Natman wrote:

Reply to
Mazda99

A long shot, You have a wire going up to the third brake light in the trunk lid. Check the condition of the wire in the left hinge.

¢

Reply to
¢