Boss Frog V-8 Kit

Has anyone had a chance to look at the : miata.net site and looked at What's New and Hot ? Page down and look at the Boss Frog V-8 kit. My '62 Corvette was 2600 pounds and 365 HP. Just think of what a Miata with 400 HP + would be like. And all that torque ????

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Wouldn't it mess up the weight distribution quite a bit by weighing down the front end and "lightening" the rear?

Combined with a light rear end, it might not be very drivable. I guess with all that horsepower, you'd probably put in a 30 gallon fuel tank. That would add almost 100+ lbs on the rear wheels.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

They claim "only a few percent" difference from stock. Such a car is definitely not going to drive like a Miata anyway, so it's probably a trivial issue. Obviously, a survival-minded driver will need to exercise some judgment regarding throttle opening.

Flyin' Miata offers a similar kit, but it appears to position the engine a bit farther rearward, which requires some firewall cutting. It's good to have a choice of less work versus better result.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
Chuck

Don't know about that one, but we have 2 club members (father & son) who have converted 3 or 4 Miatas to V-8s. IIRC they replaced the entire drive train and suspension along the way. There's photos on our website in the gallery. It probably helps that the dad trains auto shop mechanics.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Better choice of engine as well. LS1/2/3 engines have aluminum blocks and I would have to think they'd be lighter, more modern and more powerful than the cast iron 5.0 from the Mustang.

An inconspicuous, modern day Cobra. With a salvage drivetrain it could probably be done without breaking the bank.

Would there be any problem registering/insuring something like this? Do you just sort of forget to mention the extra 200 horsepower, or what?

Reply to
Carbon

Both the Boss Frog and FM kits use those engines.

FM's website has a cost breakdown for a variety of build options, including a turnkey car:

If you already own the Miata, it's a non-issue in most states. In others, you'll probably never comply with emissions regs (CARB, etc.).

Insurance depends more on the driver than on the car. With a long, clean record, it shouldn't be that bad for a car used only for pleasure. Never lie to your insurance company--it's grounds for denying a claim, which could ruin your life.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My bad. I was thinking of the Monster Miata.

Reply to
Carbon

Well, I think if you guys will go read the info. again, the last sentance kind'a shows that they don't figure that you will use this car to drive to work in. It sounds like they designed it for track or drag use. For track use, the driver should know and be able to drive high HP cars . I don't think it would be very hard to control this thing.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Use a really, really strong throttle spring...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers