Brake thump

My '96 has developed a problem in that I get an occasional "thump" when I apply the brakes. I can usually create the thump when backing up and apply the brakes. It may do it again immediately afterwards when I apply the brake while rolling forwards. The thump seems to come from the front left wheel, and I can feel it through the floor pan. I've not been able to find anything loose around the caliper, and I'm running out of ideas on what to look for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gh

Reply to
GH

Sticking caliper slider pin? Are all the pad shims in place? Are all the alignment bolts tight?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

And are the pad disengagement/anti-rattle springs still there? (Mazda apparently don't include them with new pads any more, saying they're not necessary, but owners of many years disagree).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

The shims and anti-rattle springs are in place. I'll check/lube the slider pins and see what happens. Thanks.

Reply to
GH

messagenews:fff3ij$1qi5$ snipped-for-privacy@energise.enta.net...

If it is indeed the front pads, I'd put money on it being the pins. While you've got em off, why not sand and polish them before re- greasing?

If it is not the fronts...I'd look to the rear, where this noise is more common (especially since you mention it happens when backing up). Noise in a car is relocalized (right word?) by the acoustics of the frame and body--you could be hearing rear brakes. If setting up the front doesn't help, grease up the back pins and make sure you get the hex-key adjustment just right.

Best o luck, r0ll

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

messagenews:fff3ij$1qi5$ snipped-for-privacy@energise.enta.net...

I'd bet the mortgage on greasing the slider pins. BTW: Is this the site everyone is going to since "the other site" degenerated into a buch of ricer boyz debating Royal Purple vs any oil, Fram vs. any filter, etc?

Reply to
jmiller

The main informational resource is always miata.net and its forum, where there are far too many discussions to allow reading ones that don't interest you.

This newsgroup is where old farts can poke friendly fun at one another without a moderator getting his shorts in a knot. One characteristic of oldfartdom is that we can spell fairly reliably...which of course means that no typo is left unpunished. We also know how to disagree respectfully (mostly), and refrain from condemning the messenger along with his message. Most of the time.

Welcome.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

As long as their postings are scientifically responsible.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Ahem, or *her* shorts.

And possibly politically incorrect?

Usually.

Pull up a chair and tell us about your Miata.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Could some of them be bait, to get you to post once in awhile?

Nah, no one here would do that to good ol' Leon...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That was not a chauvinistic oversight on my part, Iva. In truth, I don't recall any of miata.net's female moderators getting irate at an inappropriate post. They tend to be uniformly diplomatic and even-tempered, at least in their official capacities.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

If the normal swept area of the disc (rotor) isn't being completely swept across its radius, this is a sure indication of a sticking pin, because it causes the caliper to tilt when the brakes are applied. Normally seen on the rear brakes first.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

We do not!

;-)

Reply to
Dana Myers

You are dealing with someone who is installing Linux on his PC, as self-evident from my user header.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

And don't use copper grease but use special caliper grease. Copper grease hardens in time and will definitely get your caliper stuck...

Jeroen Feelders The Netherlands

-- The Silver Striped 91B Crystal White Miata -

MX-5 Club of the Netherlands Technical and Websitecommittee Member - Meguiar's Clinics

Reply to
Jeroen Feelders