Broken water pump pulley bolt

Just finished changing the water pump and timing belt in my "95 and broke a bolt in the water pump pulley. Everything was already reassembled, but I just HAD to reach in with a socket and check to see if I had tightened them. I know it cannot stay that way and plan on taking it apart and fixing in about a week (next available time alotment). Is it safe to drive short distances with one bolt missing?

Reply to
BAK

BAK, While you are out on one of your "short" drives, buy a torque wrench. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Gee thanks, you're a great guy. The socket was on a click type torque wrench. Evidently, the bolt had been stressed previously, because I barely started to move it when it twisted off. I didn't even feel resistance. I also had to remove two other broken bolts from the head (they hold the seal plate with the cam alignment marks) that the PO had broken and obviously felt were too much trouble to fool with.

Reply to
BAK

BAK, Yes, that is a problem you can't control. When you buy a car that someone has "worked on", you never know how much "over work" :-) has ben done to it. Good luck with your project. PS: miata.net has a "torque list" you can copy for ref.

Bruce Bing "03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

I know someone who had a shock tower nut snap off before the bolt had even seated when putting on a shock tower brace.

That went from a job that is very easy and only takes a few minutes to buying a $70.00+ part from the dealer and doing a front shock swap-out.

Fun stuff....

Pat

Reply to
pws