Buzzing sound

I have a 2000 Miata and it has this really annoying buzzing sound. I think it might be the fuel pump. It seems to come from rear of the car when sitting in it. It doesnt do it all the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks, DS

Reply to
David Smith

More info, please. Do you hear the sound:

- at a specific rpm or rpm range?

- at a specific road speed?

- only when accelerating? decelerating? both?

- does it buzz in neutral?

- exactly what do you do to make it happen?

- how many miles are on the car?

The fuel pump doesn't buzz, it clicks. Buzzes are usually cracked exhaust heatshields or bad catalytic converters. It's very difficult to tell where a sound is coming from when you're inside the cockpit.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

If your trunk lid springs have dislodged from the plastic separators they sometimes will give you a buzz at certain rpms. Les '99 blue Better 1/2 '01 blue

Reply to
Les

I couldnt tell you when it does it because I cant find rhyme or reason. I have tried idling, accelerating, neutral, in all gears, etc

I dont do anything to make it stop or start.

The car has 46K miles on it.

Reply to
David Smith

I actually did hear that noise and tracked that one down. Unfortunalely thats not the noise I am hearing.

Reply to
David Smith

I have had a similar noise from the trunk. I was two rods that run across the inside back of the trunk just under the rear window. There was a small white plastic piece that held them together that had come un-snapped. The plastic piece prevents them from making noise. Try checking that.

Reply to
Thomas Misek