Can't latch top.

Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's top. I couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't extend far enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting nut to extend the latches as far as possible, but that didn't work. It was as though something were preventing the top from going up all the way. Any ideas?

Reply to
Frank Berger

just a guess...i've heard this problem but from reverse. check the trunk...make sure it's closed.

Reply to
Jim Becker

Every time I experienced that with my NA it was because the top had been down for a long time and had taken a set in the folded shape. This left the fabric too short to easily stretch far enough to allow the latches to catch. This was even worse if the temperature was low which made the fabric stiffer. I always managed to stretch it far enough to get the latch "dimples" matched up and get a purchase but it was enough to work up a real sweat sometimes. Thankfully the NC seems to have no such problem whether because of newness or improved design.

Reply to
John McGaw

Huh? Why would hat matter?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

huh.....it was being dicussed in the miata forum.....only it was not being able to put the top down

Reply to
Jim Becker

Because someone could steal your spare while you're struggling with the top?

Seriously, put the top back down and then raise it again. Repeat once and then try pulling very hard to get the latches to engage. I had this when my top was new, I struggled to get it within about 3" of the windshield frame so I lowered the top and raised it again, this time it was within 1/2"! Pulling hard got it to latch, I don't know why it didn't want to come up the first time?????

Hope this helps?

Reply to
XS11E

Again, why would the trunk being closed make any difference in the ability to eith latch the top or to put the top down?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

If that doesn't turn out to be the problem, I'll check the oil. Oh wait, I do have a power steering fluid leak. Maybe that's it.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm not the only one to have had the problem.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Wind the windows down or open the doors first

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Frank: Go to Miata fourm and do a search on your problem. I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Good luck

Reply to
Jim Becker

Whoa. Another interesting suggestion, but the windows were open.

Reply to
Frank Berger

That one does actually make a difference. If the windows are down or the doors are open, then you don't aren't compressing the rubber roof/window seals as you latch the top.

I'm still waiting for the explanation as to why the trunk being open/closed would make a difference.

[Somebody please remind me to plug in the read-window defogger adapter cable _before_ I install the hard top this year...]
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Ah OK, the top on my NC won't come close to latching if I don't first lower the windows.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Jim Becker

That thread is about an NC power-hard-top that won't retract.

It's not relevent to the problem of a convertible top that appears to have "shrunk" or "set" so that it's difficult to latch after it's put up.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

If it's a vinyl top, then it will 'shrink' if left down for any length of time (weeks, not hours). When a new top is fitted, it can take two people to pull it (hard) into the position where the clamps can be closed for the first time.

In the UK roof fitters recommend keeping a new vinyl top up for at least a week once fitted to allow it to stretch. Keeeping a roof down for weeks (or months) on end is not normally a viable option over here :-)

I'd guess that yours has 'reverted' to a just fitted state and needs a good stretch.

Brute force is the way to do it - it'll help if it's a warm day.

Reply to
Rob

I see that...but the original post didn't say cloth or hardtop. I guess i was trying to hard to help someone out.

I'm gone

Reply to
Jim Becker

I don't doubt your motives or veracity, I was just very confused by your comment about the trunk lid. So I asked for an explanation.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me that the OP was talking about a retractable hard-top -- thus my bafflement over the connection with the trunk lid.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Brute force worked. Top is up. Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
Frank Berger