Can't up shift during tight turn

I was over at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend with my stock 96 Miata. Going around Offramp clockwise, I enter the turn in 2nd gear, but by the end of this increasing radius sweeper, I was hitting the rev limited. I tried to up shift to 3rd, but the shifter won't go into 3rd. It feels like something was blocking it from going in, but there was no grinding noise at all. I had to straighten the wheel out a bit to be able to shift. I ran into this problem every time so I had to change my line to get around this issue.

Why couldn't I shift when the car was corner at the limits? Is this a safety feature?

Reply to
G. Mack

They're not that clever!

This is quite mysterious; gears being blocked suggests the synchro units are unable to match the speeds properly. It could be that the g-force is causing the oil in the gearbox (transmission) to pile up on one side and interfering with the synchro action, but I'd have thought it was baffled against such an eventuality.

The first thing I'd do would be to check the gear oil level, and replace the oil if it's been in there for a long time - Redline MT90 is good.

Failing that, it may be a symptom of gearbox wear - how many miles has the car done?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

The gears are equally worn whether the vehicle is making a sweeping increasing-radius right-hander or going left or straight for that matter. So wear would seem to be out of the equation to me. Same for lubrication too -- once the gears are wetted and carry a film of oil they are independent of the transmission oil level in the short term -- certainly for long enough to finish that single turn.

Personally, when I read the description my first thought was a broken engine/drive train mount allowing it to shift in the turn and somehow blocking the proper shift. I might even extend my guess to a problem with the hydraulic clutch where the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir was offset by G forces enough to prevent the clutch from disengaging that last little bit needed for a clean shift. Of course, it is all guesswork and is something a decent mechanic would probably find in fifteen minutes of hands-on time.

Reply to
John McGaw

My thoughts mirror yours, John.

Reply to