Cat rattle - replacement ideas?

My '96 has a horrendous exhaust rattle - I did the rubber mallet thing and it seems to be coming from the cat, the front resonator, or both... hard to tell. The PO put a Flying Miata system on, I think a catback (front resonator is not rusty, stainless?, dual-tip not-rusty muffler is labeled Flying Miata) so I'm thinking the cat is my most likely culprit. I can't tell if it's stock or not, no labels visible.

I've read thru the review section but a lot of those products don't seem to exist any more, I can't find them. Any suggestions for a replacement cat source? Low-$ better and quieter better - I'm not really concerned about performance and this Flying Miata system is louder than I like anyway.

TIA for any help.

miker

Reply to
miker

has a universal cat for as little as $37, but that may need some work to install. or
(miata-engine-exhaust) for the oem mazda for $140 (free shipping if over $150 so pick up a couple of oil filters or new washer jet nozzels - the ones for the tribute are nice).

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Are you sure it's not just the heatshield burning through and coming loose? You can strap it up with some wire (not plastic coated!) to keep it quiet. Heatshield rattle is normally at 3500rpm.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I banged on the cat with my fist and a rubber mallet, and also tapped around with my fingers looking for heat shield issues. Nothing seems loose and the rattle 'sounds' like it's coming from inside, not exterior. My worst rattles are around idle, especially the higher idle with the AC on.

BTW, I found it instructive to mallet not only on the side of the cat and resonator but also at each end in a direction lengthwise to the pipe. That's what made me think it could be just the cat and not the resonator.

miker

Reply to
miker

Ok, an update.

That vendor has a cat that looks just like the one on my 96, but it says for

90-93. (The other cat available is 2000-up.) Geez, can't they make one for 90-95 and one for 97-08? ;)

Anyway, it looks just like mine but I also looked at the gaskets they sell and infering from the choices, it suggests the 90-93s have a different front and rear flange (different gaskets), and the 96 gasket is different than either of those (same gasket front and rear).

Have I got this right? If so, I still haven't found a cat for a '96 then...

miker

Reply to
miker

Pick up the phone and call Tommy Grimes at Finish Line Performance. Tommy knows more about Miata parts than anyone in the known universe.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

acording to miata.net they are different... this statement regarding na and nb differences... "Exhaust manifold all the way back to the muffler is completely different. Also, there are differences between the NB manual and automatic exhausts. They are not interchangable." like lanny said, call finishlineperformance.com. they don't list everything on the web site and are very helpful.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Reply to
Christopher Muto

never mind. that one is not street legal for 96/97.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

My local dealer quoted me $536 for a new cat.

had an oem cat for $140, but only for 90-93. I spoke with Tommy who, as described, knows his stuff. He said Mazda even issued a part number for a 94-97 cat but for some reason haven't made it available. He suggested I check...

Moss Motors

who could supply my '96 with a Jackson Racing hi-flow for $200 or a generic for $110. Reading the Miata.net reviews makes the JR sound a) loud, and b) short-lived, while the Moss generic seemed ok; so I've ordered the generic and gaskets for $137 total (shipped).

The Flyin Miata catback *shouldn't* be rusty/rattling inside if it's really stainless, so once the system is apart I'll bang on it again to confirm it was the cat before replacing any more.

Thanks for everyones help/suggestions!

miker

Reply to
miker

Paintings, prints and two Sinitic porcelain figures of the Immortals were also for selling.Asiatic porcelain and Canton ware, textiles and decoration 'guild wars gold '

good choices fromSongster Designer Superior Subject of Chatham, who was new to the showand was making sales crude

Reply to
lailaigogo

Ah, Grgcipio! I recognise you thru your human shell. Your command of the Northern hemisphere spoken communication has indeed progressed! My congratulations.

Oh, and Nylncrth has asked you contact him by fifth eye modulation as soon as practical. But you know him - prynew up his barwwuy as usual!

Reply to
miker

In clear? You actually published this _in clear_? Did you think I was not monitoring this channel? Your imprudence matches your impudence, Urqfb!

Laugh now, but in thirty-two phases, who will be laughing? Good day, sir.

Nylcnrth

Reply to
Nylncrth

Ulllallaaalaaallaaarp! Oh Most Excellent, I flagelate my tenticled extremities in rapture at your presence! Please accept my most fervant apologies... I only added commentary directed at your Sphericalness as typical Earth venicular so as to lull their spies into quiescence. Naturely no disrespect was intended! Why, only the other olb I was indicating to Blrbrth my deep admiration of your besting of Glarbnorpth at last cycles Yyanwrth... um, I assume my invitation for this cycle still stands, Circumferal One?

Yours faithfully in increasing vector,

Urqfb

Reply to
miker