cats and cars

Hi all Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep cats away from cars? Is there anything that can be done?

Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

I just have to keep my car cover on. Otherwise, cat paws all over the place....geeze.

~Cissy

Reply to
Expmiata

Nothing I've found, except maybe keep a big dog near the car (which has problems, too).

Tell me about it. Our cats love the warm hoods when we drive the car into the garage - even in summer when it's warm out - and they love the warmth of the driver's seat ('cause it smells like me, I'm sure) if I leave the top down, and they love the top if I put it up.

Paw-prints everywhere. The nice thing is, paw-prints come off really easily with a Quick Detail spray and a soft towel, so your car can always be shiny after a few minutes.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers
12 gauge, #8 if you want them to die a slow death, buckshot if you're merciful. Seriously, I've tried mothballs, pet repellant, even a propane cannon hooked up to an electric eye that would fire off if it was tripped. Scared that s... out of me at 2 in the morning but didn't seem to deter the cat. The cats belong to neighbors and don't just leave paw prints, they like to use the top as a scratch post. I have tried putting mousetraps on top of the car but then I've got to take them off when I want to drive and end up setting off one or two. It really seems the only long term solution was my first suggestion and then you want to let them clear the car first (obviously).

Tom (cat hater)

92 Red t> Hi all
Reply to
Tom Howlin

It helps to get an evolution IV car cover, and then after a bit replace it with duralon. The cats will be so pissed at you that they will absolutely refuse to partake of any more of your hospitality. Though I must say there is one weak-willed one who I have seen on my duralon cover anyway.

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

considered

the top up,

the window

than the top.

when they

Antifreeze is still lethal - and a *very* ugly death for a cat or dog.

Have you considered double-sided tape? I think it's manufactured under the name "Sticky Paws". My four cats absolutely hate walking on the stuff and avoid it at all costs.

-- Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

How about a cockpit cover? They are relatively inexpensive and easy to deal with.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Yup, I'll vouch for that stuff. Stops 'em cold. They hate it. That, and aluminum foil too.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

My cats hate the smell of Chap Stick and similar products. Some rubbed into the top seams might do it without harming anything, or being perceptible to you.

If you can wait with a hose and spray them right as they jump they might get the idea. We use a squirt bottle for this in the house for keeping them off tables, counters, etc.

Those are only possibilities though. I haven't actually tried these methods to keep cats away from the car. Driving somewhere (start slowly) is the only way that's worked reliably for me. Sometimes I have to do it throughout the day because the cars are so stubborn.

Gary Fuchs

t> Hi all

Reply to
Gary Fuchs

Out here in West (by God) Virginia, we use a stainless Ruger 10/22 with a short 4x scope.

DonB '91 white FAI

Reply to
DonB

Well, I live in a little village, firearms are probably out of the question :) Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

That's got to be very effective, but I'd probably want the extra excitement provided by an M77 + 7mm Rem Mag, plus clean-up would be much easier (rinse down with a hose).

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Especially if the cat owner can get at your paint. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Eh, what are they going to do to your paint that a cat's claws haven't already done?

That said, I can't imagine that I'd ever have a problem with the neighbor's cats crawling in or around any of my cars. The neighbors (and the cats) would get exactly one warning--I'd be perfectly pleasant about it, but there's just absolutely no way that I'd put up with this kind of thing.

That said, I can't imagine why anyone would keep one of these creepy animals around unless they had a bad problem with mice.

Reply to
tooloud

Call animal control and get a humane trap. Most AC centers will come and get cats in trap. end of cat problem Don

Reply to
Don Kemp