CD changer with stock stereo? Upgrades?

I have a '97 with a stock (non-Bose) stereo. I'd kind of like to get a CD player for it, but I'm fairly happy with the stock system. The manual says that the "AUX" button is for use with a CD changer. Has anyone tried that set-up? If so, how'd it work?

Since I'm thinking about it, how well have audio upgrades worked out for folks? I kind of figure that rear deck speakers would be a bad idea as they are so close that you would mostly just hear the left one but I might be wrong. I've heard about headrest speakers, but that seems like overkill for my needs. I don't know if a premium system would even make sense given all the ambient noise in a Miata.

Thanks very much for any ideas!

Reply to
Dave