Changing valve cover gaskets

Hello All, I didn't get ONE response to my post about disabling the factory alarm in my 1992 929. Now it even looks like the posts have been removed? I dunno, I'm new to a lot of this. I think I need to change the valve cover gaskets on my 929. They seem to be leaking oil down into the spark plug wells. I found this out when I went to change the plugs this weekend. Scared the hell outta me as I thought I had some stripped plug threads. Thank God noooo.... Any input as to how difficult this job is? Any special tools needed? Any caveats for the DIY / Shade tree mechanic approach? Would I be better off bringing this to a shop?

Help! Karl

Reply to
Karl M. North

Hi Karl,

You may find this odd, but for the the mostpart, this is a "MIATA discussion group", not an "ALL Mazda" group. There may be someone in here that knows about "929's", but I think you will find that a very low chance. I don't think they are not responding because they don't care. It may just be that they don't know about your type of car.

I hope this helps explain the lack of info. back to you. Good luck with your 929.

Bruce RED '91 (Miata) :)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Bruce, Yes, I know this is a Miata group. I have gleaned some very good tips from my little 92 Black and Tan. I figured, if there was anyone who MAY be able to answer these questions, they MAY be found on here.

Thanks, Karl North

92 Black and Tan 92 929
Reply to
Karl M. North

Bruce is probably right, being a Miata group most people probably wont even read you post once they see 929. If they realized you're a Miata guy they probably would go the extra mile and offer you what ever expertise they have. Maybe starting off the post with 'I'm a Miata owner but I have a question I need help with on my other car' might get you better response.

My limited experience tells me if it's just valve cover gaskets, that's pretty simple. If you can successfully remove all of the 'stuff' in your way and you can properly clean / prep and apply the gaskets you should be ok. Of course make sure that you know the proper torque for the bolts.

When I do these things I take plenty of digital pics in case I have any trouble with the re-assembly.

Good Luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris, Thanks for the advice. The digital picture idea sounds like a winner!

-=Karl=-

Reply to
Karl M. North