Check Engine Light

Suddenly, my check engine light sporadically comes on.....but the car drives great. Any ideas?

Oh, yes, my gas cap is on tight :) ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

I posted this question on 10/31. Got no response which is highly unusual....however, I have solved it, so I thought I'd post what I found to be the reason the Check Engine light came on.

I had a defective O2 sensor. Replaced it.....engine light off :) ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

Well, you cannot expect an answer to *every* question you post. We are not Santa Claus.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

What??? Nooooooooooo! Don't tell me that! I believed in Santa Claus What now? ;) ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

Last time I checked, my engine was kind of heavy :-O

Ken

Reply to
KWS

As soon as I left the E-check station my check engine light came on again. I took it to the Mazda dealer and found out that the catalytic convertor had gone bad. They replaced it for free. It would have cost me $588.00 if it was not under warranty. Check engine light problem solved.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Where is and what is the 02 sensor? Tell us more about replacing it so we can do the job. Thank You

Reply to
JEN LURA

1) In the engine. That is why it generates a check engine message. 2) A sensor that measures oil pressure and oil temperature (hence O2).

It is fairly easy, though a bit strange. First you need to get it out of the engine. To be able to correctly measure the oil conditions, it must be floating in the oil somewhere below the dipstick hole. After you get it out, you can just disconnect it from the attached cable and plug in the new one.

If you do not have the Mazda SST (special service tool) to get it out, dropping the tube of a little pump down the dipstick hole also works great. Just wiggle the tube a bit around and pump until it catches the little bugger. Pull up through the hole.

They are about $25 a piece if you buy them generic instead of from the dealer.

You are welcome. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

YIKES!!! ;-D LMAO! ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

Reply to
chuckk

Over 15 years, we have replaced the O2 sensor 3 times. Each replacement has been the generic. Mazda wants over $200 for them (ACK!). Although the generic seems to last only a few years, it's worth it. The symptoms of bad O2 sensor always before was poor performance, slight stumbling, etc. This time, the car ran like a top........but with Check Engine light on. Took us awhile to get around to testing the sensor as it didn't occur to us this could be the problem....

Geeze, ya never know. To know how to test, check a Miata shop manual. Gives details on how to do it. You will need a volt meter. ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata