Check Engine Light Came On

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

XS11E

Peter wins the music. ;-) Here is a good thread on Miata.net explaining the code.

7576&highlight=P1135

Reply to
Mike

Peter Chupity wrote:

Thank you Peter, Lanny, Mike, et alia. My only question now is, I assume that a generic Walker brand sensor from OxygenSensors.com, at 60 dollars, is a decent price for a generic part? I have a shade tree guy who will put it in for 20 dollars. I know I'm probably going to try it myself. All an observer would see would be me, ass in the air over the engine compartment, and the sounds of small screws pinging their way towards the ground- They never *hit* the ground, the Gods of Bud the Weiser get more of a laugh watching somebody with one of those magnetic pickup tools- then the louder bang of a 22mm wrench falling and breaking something expen$ive and unreachable. Head halfway to the ground by now, our noble repair-warrior with no feeling in his left hand yells SOMEthing loud, and wife comes trotting out with another cold malted beverage and leaves it on the run, and the battle resumes. Numb noble warrier quits around midnight when he cannot find the boxed part he was to install, and the 5 year old $4.99 trouble light loses an electrical tape splice in the cord and sends 110V through entire engine AND N.N. warrior. N.N.W. is so buzzed from 16 bottles of Bud Ice he doesn't really know what happened, but he knows he didn't like it, and that wife will find lost part next day. We leave numb noble warrior swearing at Jay Leno on TV, and cursing Bud of Weiser for only putting 18 bottles in 18 pack of malted beverage and he retires, perhaps to dream of a better day.....

-Bill

(PM me with a wish list of bootlegs, most of what I have left is Springsteen and Dire Straits/Knopfler, sons hijacked most originals... I owe all of you....

Reply to
Bill

The shop didn't run the car yesterday as I asked, so cheapo Mazca battery was dead as a...whatever. Damn thing never did hold a charge, I wonder if the stupid Lojack is always on and draining???? Anyway, the code is clear, and has stayed clear for the 35 minute trip home, so perhaps all was bogus and all is well now....What do people do for batteries on these besides Mazda brand?

As to music- Mark Knopfler is coming to Boothbay in Sept to do a benefit, tix are obscenely priced, but leftovers will go on Ebay, and I suspect there might be a bargain to be had there- $500 for concert and after party with Mark will probably go for fifty bucks..Keep an eye on Ebay in coming weeks. Thanks again for all the help..

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, Yes your "stupid lojack" system is always on and so is your clock in the radio, so some power is also going to the radio. (be sure to check your radio for the "theft code" if it has one) Westco is one batt. that will work. (some people have had results with other makes.)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Thank you- do you mean that the Lojack is broadcasting all the time? I bought the car with a brand-new-that-day Mazda brand battery, and it never held a charge for more than a week during the winter, or overnight in subzero weather. Hell of a way to run an airline! I was wondering if the Lojack, like a cell phone, will communicate with a cell every now and then like it or not. (Old analog phones, anyway.) I say 'stupid' Lojack because it is worthless here in Maine, and I cannot get anybody to buy it, take it out for free, or even tell me how to disable it, JIC it is the trouble with the battery. It sat at the repair shop for six days, and was dead as a doornail- at least it reset the ECU, which makes the car idle too slowly at first- just what you want with a dead battery. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm just gonna call up the local indie foregn car place and take their advice on batteries, the cheapest the best.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill ,

I think you will find that the system is always on line and only calls if it is stolen. (but they still have power going to to them.) I had to keep my '91 on a foat type charger if I was not going to drive it for a week. (vacations and such)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Are you in the rust belt? Problem still worse in the winter? I guess I'll do what I had to do to a '79 Mustang, until it self-repaired after a year- that is to loosen the negative cx to the battery so it can just push on- pull off. I kept a wrench handy but never had to use it, it was all sticky enough. Hmm.. this was before electronic radios and ECU's. Guess I'll keep up with what I have, which is exactly what you have. Lemme guess- you keep the charger clipped to the battery and set on

2A charge, with an extension cord nearby, and just connect the two as needed. Right? Have you talked to any other Lojack owners?? Isn't there supposed to be a master shutoff acessable to the driver?? TYIA

-Bill

BRUCE HASK> Bill ,

Reply to
Bill

Here's a low-battery prevention device I thought about buying but never did. I kept having my battery run down after 6 or 7 days in the long-term parking lot at the airport.

David P.

Reply to
David P.

I notice that "Patricia" gave a location of Macon Ga. The Macon Mazda dealer once told another 99 Miata owner that they were not going to do a warrenty repair involving ignition failure, since the car had Champion plugs. Turned out that Mazda used Champion plugs on some of the 99s instead of the more common NGKs, and the Champions were even listed in the owners manual. And yes, they were the OEM plugs installed when the car was built.

Reply to
Chuck

Sometimes just the change you feel brands and cleaning your field Will make the check engine light disappear like magic Many oil companies are trying to sell water down feels after all the massive spills they had oversee and trying to recover all their lost millions worth.

Reply to
poshboy9