Clunking sound

Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.

My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension bushings might be breaking down.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Alan Baker

Is there any difference in the sound depending on if it is a left or right turn during braking? Also, has the car changed as far as handling? One more question, does the amount of braking force affect the sound?

16-17 years is definitely enough time to take a toll on any of the rubber bushings.

My first place to look would be the front sway bar. I fixed one miata that actually had a broken bracket and was still driving decently with the left side sway bar end hanging down, but it was making a very loud clunk sound. It may be as simple as replacing your front sway bar bushings. Second place to check would be the brakes, especially if the car is driving normally.

After checking those, and assuming that the shocks are not completely shot, I would jack up the front of the car and see if there is any play in the wheels to indicate a bearing going bad and check to see if the steering is loose anywhere, especially at the links.

Finally, I would get in there with a pry bar and carefully put some force on the upper and lower A-arms to see if they have excessive bushing play. There is also a small possibility of the bushing going bad at one or both of the shock mounts, though I do not know how you would check this without removing the assembly from the car.

Most of these problems would also affect your alignment, BTW. Are your tires wearing normally? (ok, that's 4 questions)

Pat

Reply to
pws

For some reason I thought that your post said the sound was coming from the front. Can you tell where the sound is located?

Another possibility that is very easy to check is play in the the driveshaft U-Joints.

Good luck,

Pat

Reply to
pws

Thanks for all the thoughts, Pat. I'll get checking and report back!

Reply to
Alan Baker

You thank me now, but if the problem is still there after all of that looking, you will probably be cursing me. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws