cut out on left turns.

hi,

my '95 m-ed w/ jr/sc sometimes cuts out upon moderate to heavy accelutation. of course this happens when there are other vehicles approaching and is disconcerting. any ideas why this happens?

tia, peter

Reply to
P&M Icaza

If you have a J&S or MSD, they are the first to check IMHO. One of the connectors of my J&S failed. Bingo, car stalled. Very unpredictably too.

Independent shop finally isolated the problem and took the J&S out of the circuit, thinking it was a car alarm. Bingo,

*major* knock with timing at 14 BTDC and 6 psi boost. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

but mine does it only on left turns?!?!

Reply to
P&M Icaza

The short may only show up if inertia force is in a given direction. Just a wild guess, though mine behaved like it needed deceleration.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

My '94 bone stock C package Miata is exhibiting the same symptoms. Seems to also be related to underhood operating tempratures. Only on left turns does it cut out completely. At operating temperature running staight ahead I get momentary cutouts around 4500- 5000 rpm. I thought that the MAF sensor had gone bad (before I noticed the stalls on left turns problem) so I replaced it. New fuel filter about 1500 miles ago. Anyone see this, more to the point, has anyone cured this? Thanks

Reply to
MiataMoe

Another idea:

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

My '88 chevy 1500 cut out when the tank was low on fuel and I was accelerating or going up hill. It turned out to be the fuel pump. I don't know about cornering....it was a truck.

I don't know about the miata fuel pump, but the truck fuel pump should be replaced by someone who knows what they are doing. I destroyed the "descending unit", which I expected would cost < $50. It cost around $350 if I remember correctly.

Is the problem worse with an almost empty tank?

Joe

Reply to
Joe