[SOLVED] Design flaw Miata

Well, Lanny, it so happened that yesterday at the Motel 8, I *did* forget to put the top up. (That is not quite accurate, I *did* remember that I had not yet put the top up and resolved to do it when picking up the pizza, I just forgot to *do* it.) Fortunately, it did not rain overnight.

Actually, in one accident examined by the FAA, they asked the pilot why he had not paid attention to the tower repeatedly telling him that his landing gear was still up while coming in for landing. The pilot told the FAA that he had trouble understanding the tower; some blasted warning buzzer was beeping into his ears *loudly*.

Not just us. See other responses.

Leon, still mopping up oil from the front of the hood.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Actually, I cannot work on an advanced degree while teaching at FSU. So far for me becoming a professional mechanic. :(

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Hey I remember that site.

It's the one saying that I live just around the corner from the North Pole.

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

As a motorcycle rider, the biggest problem I see with DRLs is that all the car lights on during the day tend to make motorcycles' headlights less obvious, and so motorcycles can't be seen as well. In the US, motorcycle headlights must be on at all times. On my bike, I use my high-beam during the day. It might be a little obnoxious to other drivers, but at least I can be seen a little better.

As for my bright red Miata, if for some reason I think other cars might have trouble seeing me, I'll just turn my headlights on myself.

Just my $.02

Reply to
Crumm

Please give my regards to Santa and Mrs. Claus...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

As any Danish child knows, the Clauses live in Greenland and not on the North Pole.

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Crumm said on 6/5/2004 12:50:

Cool, somebody else actually has a RED Miata and a motorcycle...

I fully agree with the bike rider concerns. As for the Miata, the main problem I have encountered is with people (particularly in SUVs) cutting me off by changing into my lane. DRLs don't help with that, but a loud horn does ;-)

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise

Actually, my motorcycle is RED too!

I notice the same thing with many SUV drivers, but it seems to happen no matter what car I drive, including my pickup. (Sorry, but the pickup is black.) ;-)

Reply to
Crumm

Well yeah, but, you know, the door panel black sticky stuff is STILL worse, n'est-ce pas?

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

Yes, much worse, Steve. Simple paper towels will take care of the oil. Try that with the tarry stuff. You will have tarry towels tarring other things and no tar removed from where you wiped tar.

But I am *still* mopping up oil bleeding from the hood. I cannot believe it: only a pint or so was gone. It sure *seems* like a quart or so is still out there hiding somewhere inside the hood.

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Candy

[SERIOUS POST ALERT!]

Use the quarter carwash on the underside of the hood (cover the engine first). Or remove the hood so you can clean it thoroughly.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh, when I get home, I will put simple green on it. All this is hard to do when on the road.

And yes, there is *still* a lot of oil dripping from the hood. I just mop it up wit towels every tank of gas. I guess oil runs better when hot.

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

And me!! The only problem with that combination is deciding which one to take out on a nice day.... :-) And one thing that motorbike riding has taught me is that turning your lights on makes other people see you better, which can only really be a good thing.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

You know, Leon, that old movie "The Blob" was on TV last weekend. The thing with The Blob was; it just kept growing & growing because of, I believe, some '50's, nuclear paranoia semi-scientific deal. Now I'm not saying that the spilled oil OUTSIDE of your crankcase is growing; but HOW ELSE can one explain this continued proliferation of spilled oil. We all know that Black Sticky Stuff DOES defy logic and physics; that it does, like, you know . . grow. But spilled oil? BTW, car washes used to offer steam-cleaning, which is what I did back in '87 when I did the EXACT same thing after an oil change on an MR2. Today? Well, I bet they still offer steam cleaning in Cuba.

Voltaire said, "Doubt is not a pleasant condition; but certainty is absurd."

Seriously though, you need to take the time and clean that oil out of there.

-- SM

Reply to
McMahon

It is probably waste product of the nuclear bacteria that are hiding in every Miata hood below the stiffeners, ready to take over the world, and especially the Miatae, of course, as soon as they can get enough oil to sustain themselves and proliferate.

Will do tomorrow (today, come to think of it.) Just want to have something to cover the engine real good.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Oh, no! I sprayed half a bottle of Simple Green, mostly in the holes in the hood, and solidly sprayed it clean with the water hose. Yet I discovered new oil is still coming out of the hood. It is obviously a run-away reaction, where it takes only half a dead nuclear bacteria to create two new ones, leaving the other halves to form an exploding amount of oil! It is a CH-bomb!

Nothing can stop it now. Except Heisenberg, maybe. Anybody knows where to find him?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

ROTFL!! Nice one, amigo.

Well then, time to start catching it in barrels. Does your neighborhood association allow refineries? Sure, you'll lose the use of Bozo. But with the profits you could buy a nice MazdaSpeed Miata and paint it white. The hardtop, sheepskins, and curb feelers should transfer right over.

Last time I saw Werner, he was burying a demised cat. He said its ninth life had disappeared in a small matter-antimatter annihilation. Dunno that I believed him--there sure were a lot of empty Duvel bottles lying around.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers