Difference between M514 and M513 shift boots

Hi guys,

After discovering that my lower shift boot was torn again I found out that there are 2 types of lower shift boots: M514-17-480A for '90-'93 with a large metal ring and M513-17-480A for '93-'05 with a small base and higher rubber part (see

Both parts fit my '91 Miata and I think the M513 has the advantage. This one won't rip as fast because of the added amount of 'moving rubber' parts. Furthermore, it seems Mazda had already developed the M513 part when the M514 was used. My questions:- What's the use of the large metal plate on the M514-version?- Why should I use the M514 if the M513 fits just fine?- Why has the later model a lower partsnumber? Jeroen Technical Commissioner Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherlands
/

Jeroen Feelders

Don't know if I'd agree with that?

Reply to
XS11E

Sent before finished, sorry.

I think the answer is that Mazda has NOT superceded the earlier part # with the later one so they must intend for you to continue to use the M14. It costs them money to maintain 2 different part numbers and if one could replace the other you know they'd do it, right?

Reply to
XS11E

found this for what it is worth...

the newer part will fit on the older box but the older will not fit on the newer... looks to me like they just simplified the design to cut costs. i doubt that there is any significant difference in life span of these two parts and the purist in me says to just replace it with the same... after all since your '91 boot lasted until 2010.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Not really, it lasted 4 years...

"Christ>> Hi guys,

Reply to
Jeroen Feelders

That is about the maximum amount of time that I have seen one last. They wear out so fast that I am barely able to care about replacing them.

It seems like a different material, or at least thicker rubber piece could be used, but that would mean less rubber boot sales for Mazda.

Pat

Reply to
pws