Does 2003 Shinsen include "sport" supspension?

I'm shopping for shocks for my '03 Shinsen, and I'm finding conflicting info on whether the Shinsen has the standard supsension (which will fit KYB AGX shocks) or the "sport" supsension, (which requires different shocks than the standard).

For example, both miatamania.com and

that that the Shinsen comes with a 6-speed transmission andsport suspension. Mine came with a 5-speed, so does that meanit's _not_ the sport supsension? Is there an easy way to visually identify sport vs. standard suspension?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Somebody suggested looking for a sticker on the passenger side door sill. 2003s don't seem to have that sticker, so I'm still in the dark.

Is it true that the sport suspension was only available with the 6-speed?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The OEM shocks are black. The sport suspension came with yellow Bilstein shocks, so this must be the standard suspension. I think.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That sounds correct - Bilsteins are usually yellow. The link you gave also said that the suspension package for the LS only came with 6 speed, so either something's awry with the description, or the car you've got isn't a Shinsen, but perhaps has some extras. Unlikely anyone would change a 6 for 5 speed, but people do strange things at times. There /should/ be a sticker on the chassis inside the door panel. If it's not there, it was probably taken off for a reason.

Reply to
Me

Do you ever get that feeling that you're just talking to yourself, Grant? ;-) Actually, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter to you, which it had because you're going to use the same KYB's to replace either one, right? I think it only matters if you're doing an OEM replacement, the adjustable KYB's will work on either, I I believe.

What are the other differences of the 'sport' suspension? I'm guessing possibly beefier springs (not sure about that) and possibly beefier sway bars (not sure about that either). I think it's quite possible that upgraded shocks are the only different components. Hopefully someone will correct me swiftly (and tactfully ;-) if I am wrong.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Sometimes. What worries me is that I sometimes disagree.

According to the web sites of several people who sell the KYBs (e.g. summit racing), they won't fit a sport suspension.

Shorter, stiffer springs and heftier sway bars. Some of what I've read implies that the springs are mounted slightly differently as well. Presumably the spring difference is why KYBs won't fit a sport suspension (though presumably if one also changed the springs they would work).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

It had Shinsen badges on the fenders, Shinsen floormats, Shinsen hats, the Shinsen interior uphostery and trim, Shinsen exterior paint color, and Shinsen roof. The window sticker said Shinsen. I'm pretty sure it's a Shinsen model.

I believe that the descriptions I've found on the web for Shinsens are wrong (at least they don't match up with any of the Shinsens I looked at when I bought mine in early 2004). I sent corrections to one of the authors of such a feature list but was ignored.

I looked at three Shinsens. They all had 5-speed transmissions.

According to my research, Mazda stopped putting those stickers in Miatas sometime in 2002. Nobody with a 2003 reports finding such a sticker.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

afaik, the shinsen (japensese for something like new or fresh) was somewhere between the base model and the ls. it was cheaper than a ls but had many of the ls upgrades. marketed for younger price conscious consumer with styling extras including the gray paint, blue top, blue seats and blue interior accents. though i could not find anything conclusive about it, it would make sense that it is a 5 speed (not 6) and standard (not sport) suspension. a great looking car.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

this article describes it well...

that the 6 speed is on the special edition (SE) and not the shinsen (though the shinsen was a limited prodction run it is not what mazda labled as the 'special edition') and that is probably where the confusion comes from.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I really liked that fact that it had cloth upholstery. Leather is just too hot. Unfortunately the cloth seats havn't worn well, and new seat covers look to be on the horizon after the shocks and tires.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I believe you. Perhaps someone should edit the Wikipedia site, as the information on the main page is a bit ambiguous as to Ls and shinsen.

I didn't realise that they stopped in 02, but yes. Mazda have a database is at mazda.co.jp, but of course it's password protected and on a secure server. The local parts counter guy checked mine, printed it out, and gave me a copy - suggested to keep in the car as easy reference if I need parts. That detailed options for trans, diff, suspension as well as SE/LE trim packages, and also listed deleted options - ie "W/O 10th-Anniv" for my '98 car. They look up using VIN, so I guess they could do this if anyone was looking at a used car, and wanted confirmation of factory options fitted. Get the VIN, and head down to Mazda. A new NC was parked right next to the parts counter - damn it - I want reasons not to like them, and couldn't find any there...

Reply to
Me

As per my other post, that /should/ show up on a VIN # search of the Mazda database that your Mazda dealer can access. If you've got a door jamb sticker, mine (NB8a) shows LSD identified as Drive : Type 2. But not sure if that applies to US models, or later NBs. >

Reply to
Me

Mr. Me, I'm confused as to why you would call your car a '98. My understanding is that (at least in the US) there were no '98's. Enlighten me.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Eric, if your suspension is a 'non-sport' version, I want to put in a good word for the KYB AGX adjustables. IIRC the Koni's are not easy to adjust and the KYB's definitely are. It's nice to be able to go softer on the road and firm it up when it's time to get serious. I ended up putting the MSM springs and shocks on my 99 and while I think it's the perfect 'all around' set up, my wife isn't very happy riding in the car and that effects my time in the car and that's a BAD THING!

Good luck and update us when / if you change up.

Chris

99BBB

I got my '03 Shinsen a couple years ago, and like you have found there is a lot of conflicting info on the internet regarding its specs. But mine is definitely a 5-speed, unless you count reverse. My shocks are not yellow, either, nor do I have any sort of "sport" identifier on the door jam sticker, and I've assumed the car doesn't have the sport suspension. I think the main thing about the Shinsen is its distinctive look, but there is not much performance-related difference over the base model. At least one website does say it has a limited slip iirc, I'm still sort of wondering about this.

With ~43K miles on the clock I've been looking at my shock options, too ? trying to strike a nice balance between streetability, autocross (which I got into this year), and at some point maybe a few track days. Thus far I am leaning toward the Konis, with Bilstein maybe the main other contender, if I can figure out which Bilstein would be appropriate. I have a vague feeling the Konis may be the most versatile for covering my needs right now.

Eric

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've found similar mentions of an LSD on various sites, but I don't think mine has one based on observations of behavior on ice/snow: park with one wheel on ice and the other on cement, and it will quite happily spin the wheel that's on ice.

I don't know where people get all of the misinformation they post, but there seems to be a lot of it -- and they won't even deign to correct it when provided with the facts.

My Mazda dealer's service department has never proven to be competent in the past. In my 6 or 7 dealings with them they've botched something every time -- on one occasion they lied about it in an attempt to avoid correcting things. If they did manage to access the database, I wouldn't trust them to come up with the right answer.

As we've already established, Mazda stopped putting such stickers in Miatas sometime in 2002. 2003 models do not have such stickers.

I put KYB AGX adjustable shocks in my NA a few years back and liked them. I'm leaning towards another set of AGX shocks for the Shinsen. They would allow one to have different damping for street, autocross, and track. The AGX's for NAs had 8 settings -- the ones for NBs have 4.

This time I think I'll pay somebody else to do the work.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That's interesting. I have an MSM so presumably MSM springs and shocks as well. To me the handling is too soft, with too much body roll. Finances preclude any changes for the time being, but at some point I would like to firm things up a notch or two without destroying the ride. And I'm really not sure what I should upgrade, cost/benefit wise.

Reply to
Carbon

Outside the US there were '98 NBs. Mine was made in August 98 for Japanese domestic market, and imported used to NZ, with about 40,000 miles on the clock. I don't know the date first registered in Japan, but probably '98 rather than '99. Model designation is VS SE. VS (V-spec) seems to refer to light tan interior, leather seats, elect windows/mirrors, Nardi wooden steering wheel, shifter, and parking brake handle, and tan hood. I think the Na V-spec models were mainly (all?) BRG, but NB8a seem to come in various colours. The SE bit specifies special options. My car has 6 speed and LSD, but otherwise a standard nb8b. (they made nb6a & nb6b 1600s for Japan and Europe). It's actually just called a Mazda Roadster, no MX5 or Miata badges. There are other differences. Japanese Nb8a don't have EGR fitted. The intake manifold is cast and partly machined for it, but it's not fitted. (I kind of hope that keeps some heat off my coil packs) The exhaust manifold in Japan and some markets other than North America is a long

4:2:1 header, the last Y joint about a foot from the cat under the car. There's also a different intake cam used, apparently the same cam as the later MSM intake cam. Tacho red line, and limiter are 7500rpm rather than 7000/7200. There's also no OBDII, and a different ECU is used.
Reply to
Me

Although it won't tell you the date of first Japanese registration this site will tell you the date of manufacture - just enter the chassis number

AFAIK this site ONLY details JDM vehicles, it won't hold info for, say, an MX5 that was built for the UK or NZ market.

As you know the month of manufacture I suspect that you may already know of this site, details posted for anyone who doesn't.

Reply to
Rob