Door Speakers

Anybody know a source for door speakers for a 1992 Miata that don't cost $200/pair like at Crutchfield?

Thanks.

Reply to
rikoski

Some have recomended Walmart, Target or Kmart where speakers of the proper size can be found.

Head for

and start reading in the audio forums for ideas.

Reply to
XS11E

Hmmm. This means that I need to take a door panel off and remove a speaker up front. I was hoping to avoid that step until I had replacements in hand.

Reply to
rikoski

I've a set of these in my 96 VR Limited Eunos Roadster - the original equipment Bose speakers had rusted out due to the previous owner not clearing the drain tubes behind the doors and filling the car with condensation

About $35 in your language, I think - P&P wouldn't be that great to the States from the UK, the total would be well under the $200 quoted above. They're loud even with the cheap UK stereo system installed to replace the OE Japanese system (whose FM frequencies are different to the UK FM frequencies), can't fault them for value.

Reply to
Rob

Why?

Reply to
XS11E

What music do you play? For mainstream music the JVC's (see below this NG) or similar plastic membrane speakers will do. For the bass-hungry and snappy treble enthousiasts you'll need metalic membrane/dome speakers like the JBL GTO's. The extra added stiffness of the membrane combined with a litle less weight will bring you that little more pleasure.

Jeroen The Netherlands

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.newsrazor.net...

Reply to
Jeroen Feelders

Sometimes you can find the Clearwater kits on ebay for somewhat less than that. They're not cheap, but the sound is spectacular, and you can hear them just fine with the top down - even with the stock radio.

-Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

Well, I broke down and ordered the Clearwaters on EBay. They cost $150 plus shipping. (Ouch).

But I didn't seem to have any choice. The speakers came today. They are impressively well built. More like audiophile-grade than car-grade.

I'll report back next week on ease of installation and sound quality.

Reply to
rikoski

I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Be sure to check your doors for anything that might rattle inside them (like door & lock linkage), and use tie wraps liberally to secure wires (anything) from vibrating against other things. The Clearwaters really shake things up, and it's most annoying to have a sympathetic rattle spoil the good vibrations!

Good luck!

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

I installed the Clearwaters today after having bought them on eBay for $150 + shipping for the pair.

They were a snap to install. The door grills popped right out and there was no cutting or drilling required. Took 10 minutes.

The sound is great.

Reply to
rikoski