Downshifting

| | Apparently the google.au software picked up some of those posts | from such incompetent ISPs before they got wise. | | Leon

Beats me how one can post to a group that does not exist?

I have removed the .au from the original link, so has Google Global got it wrong too?

Justin

Because you're using a news-server that's broken.

Did you _look_ at that link?

The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of which are spam.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Have they *really* been "tolerated", or have we just not had much of a choice in the matter?

But with that logic, we should tolerate spam.

I'm of the mindset that some folks should paint their "post" key in a bright color, so they think before they ask the question.

Reply to
tooloud

For me, it is right click, ignore thread, left click. There was a long off-topic discussion about the Cougar Ace cargo ship when it capsized, even though there was no mention of any MX-5's on board. The group survived unscathed.

If all that was talked about here was miatas, we would see almost nothing but questions from new owners about leaky slave cylinders and clogged drain sills. (slight exaggeration)

Who is "we"? This is an unmoderated group where you exercise your own right to read what you will. I won't participate in moderated groups because the moderators get a power trip. If people want to dump me in their killfile, no problem, but I don't want one person to have that ability with me or anyone else. Again, I want to choose whether to read it or not rather than have the choice made by another person. This group would never make a unanimous decision on anything. There is no "we" here.

Lanny is correct that miata.net is a superior resource, but I have had almost every single miata question answered correctly here, and the answers to almost any miata question can be found in the miata.net archives or on google. We are just re-hashing old stuff for the most part until each new model comes out.

Mine is the left mouse button and I have a twitchy mouse trigger finger from all of those first person shooter games. That is my excuse.... ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

| | Did you _look_ at that link? | | The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the | year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of | which are spam. | | --

Yes I did read it, and I do know it was over 2 years ago, but it "DID" exist , I thought someone here said it "NEVER" existed, and if they didn't, I apologise, my bad.

Reply to
Justin

What has been said (many, many, times) is that it only existed on mis-configured servers. The r.a.m.m group was never valid, and postings to it would never have propagated to normal, properly configured news servers.

Despite repeated explanations of how Usenet works, why it's not a valid group (and never was), and why it does show up on some broken servers, people keep pointing to some mis-configured server (such as

shouting "There it is! It's a real newsgroup!". I'm done explaining it. If people want to post to to r.a.m.m on their broken news-server, that's fine -- but pointing others to that group is doing them a disservice.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

| >> Because you're using a news-server that's broken. | >>

| >> Did you _look_ at that link? | >>

| >> The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the | >> year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of | >> which are spam. | >

| > Yes I did read it, and I do know it was over 2 years ago, but it "DID" | > exist , I thought someone here said it "NEVER" existed, and if they | > didn't, I apologise, my bad. | | What has been said (many, many, times) is that it only existed | on mis-configured servers. The r.a.m.m group was never valid, | and postings to it would never have propagated to normal, | properly configured news servers. | | Despite repeated explanations of how Usenet works, why it's not | a valid group (and never was), and why it does show up on some | broken servers, people keep pointing to some mis-configured | server (such as

| and shouting "There it is! It's a real newsgroup!".| | I'm done explaining it. If people want to post to to r.a.m.m | on their broken news-server, that's fine -- but pointing others | to that group is doing them a disservice. | | -- | Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello, GORRY-O!! I'm | at a GENIUS from HARVARD!! | visi.com

ok, thanx got ya!

Reply to
Justin