Drive train sound

Anybody has had a rubbing sound from their drive train on coming back on the gas or braking? I first thought it was the exhaust, but on thinking it over, it is definitely a sound of a rotating part. I looked at the longitudinal drive axis, but cannot see anything strange. There is also nothing on the noises page at miata.net.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Mike

Thanks for the link Mike. It seems very relevant.

Too many people with the mysterious sound problem (including me) having recent clutch changes. Apparently this all only popped up when Ford management came up with the new (cheaper?) clutch plates.

I am guessing either the thicker clutch material causes drive train parts to touch elsewhere, or the clutch "judder" (stutter?) somehow manages to damage something in the drive train on older miatas.

Anyway, my clutch rebuild will be rebuild with a nonMazda clutch.

Le>Read SpOck's thread in Miata.net if you haven't already. He has tried

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

If the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, try pressing on the pedal gradually to see where in the pedal travel the noise stops.

I suggest this because I've had throwout bearings make some very odd noises and the slightest pressure on the pedal can shut them up.

Reply to
Steve Whisman

I had something like that with the throwout bearing on my '72 2002. If the construction is similar (several bolts in a circle around a rubber donut) don't wait to check - it can go suddenly. A bolt or two can loosen and vibrate if the rubber wears, and everything appears okay.

Gary Fuchs '99

Reply to
Gary Fuchs