Ebay item.

Item #160035499926,

Or:

For those who don't know, Phoenix Motor Company is one of the local Mercedes Benz dealers. How they wound up with the car has to be an interesting story.

Reply to
XS11E

How they wound up with it is interesting, but the why is so obvious. It's WHITE! ;-)

Seriously, though, I am guessing a trade in after either a wreck and repair or after simply deciding that the MX-5 was not for them.

There was a 2006 MX-5 for sale on miata.net classifieds not too long ago, and the seller stated that he was selling it to get the one with the folding hardtop.

It will be interesting to see how the sales figures compare between the hardtop-equipped MX-5 versus ragtop sales for the 2007+ models.

$1800.00 is nothing to sneeze at, but I think it is a safe bet that Mazda will be selling a whole lot more hardtops per miata than ever before. I never really considered one until now, and now I wouldn't buy a new one without it.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Well Pat, I was lucky. I sold my '91 red and kept the hard top. My 2003 is an early one and I did not need to change the front clamp "nose" so the hard top fits the 2003. I just needed a repaint to Garnet Red. The paint job came back with a very good color match ( very hard color to match ) $500 well spent. I put the hard top on last week and will have it on and off if we have nice days this winter or spring. (it only takes about 5 min's. to hoist it up in the garage. I just can't see having the canvas soft top out in the winter. ( I drive the car year round ) It just all depends on where you live if a hard top is for you. The 2007 retractable will change things for some people, but not all.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

That is excellent Bruce. Any pictures?

I picked up an oil filter today and there was their first MX-5 with folding hardtop on the showroom floor.

Have you seen it in action? Smooth and quiet, they are probably still wiping the drool off of the car...

I never thought I would want a hardtop, figuring that it would be a big hassle if I had it on and wanted to drop the top while on the road, especially on a long trip. That problem has been solved, now the problem is money.

Like I said, it depends on the person if a hardtop is for them, but for me, I can not imagine ordering a new model without the folding one.

Your Nardi steering wheel will always look approximately 1.5 million times better than the new one, so that is one consideration. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, Yes, I have pictures, I just don't have a way to put them on the web. As you can see by my E-mail address, I don't have a computer and the pic's are 35 mm prints :-) OK, so I'm a cheap guy. What else is new? :-)

The hard top changes the total look of the car. I am sure it would do that to the '07 too.

No, I have not seen the '07 yet.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Bruce, If you would like some web pics, I would be glad to scan them, send the

35 mm prints back, and host the digital images on my server. That would only be a couple of bucks for mailing, though you probably have someone local who can scan them for you and e-mail the pics to me. If so, I would put them up for you.

I have always liked how the hardtop looked on every generation of miata, that was the main reason why I wanted one for the '96M. Some people think that a convertible should look like a ragtop. I much prefer the straight from coupe to topless look.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat,

You can send me your home address to my E-mail and I will send the 35 mm pic's to you.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Excellent! This is how I get many of my Ebay items that I sell.

Everyone be sure to look for: "Authetic 35mm prints of Bing The 2003 Miata", very limited edition. The starting bid is only $24.95 with no reserve. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws