Electrical problem - got lights, nothing else

Any advice would be appreciated - have a '94 Miata, automatic transmission.

The car won't start - we've put on new cables and battery, but the only thing that works are the headlights.

The dashboard lights don't come on when we turn the key and not a sound from the starter motor.

Any idea where to start with this? Taking it into a garage is not an option at this point...

Thanks

Reply to
John Edens

It's probably the main fuse. Make sure the battery is connected to the cables with the correct polarity. The minus (-) lead is grounded to the chassis of the car. Accidental polarity reversal can cause a lot of damage. It is easy to get the wrong jumper cable connectors on the poles of a dead battery. If the main fuse is blown, the diodes in the alternator could be shorted and the ECU blown.

Make sure the battery is disconnected. Replace the main fuse. Check the resistance using an ohm-meter from either connection on the main fuse to ground. If it reads a dead short, disconnect the alternator and try again. If the resistance is a high reading you are okay. Reconnect the battery and turn the key to the Accessory position and see if the radio works. If so, try to start. If the car does not start you have a damaged ECU or coil pack.

Good luck!

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

connected to the

grounded to the

lot of damage.

poles of a dead

alternator could be

It could also be the ignition switch itself. Try jiggling the key in the ignition and see if anything else comes on. I had a similar problem which was cured by replacing the switch.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva