Engine/Belt Clicking ?

I've had this problem once before. I have a long commute, and by the time I get home I hear a clicking sound coming from the engine. It sounds a little like a belt - it seems to only happen when the engine is hot. It is definitely RPM related, so that rules out a few things I would guess. Any ideas? When it happened before I took it in and they replaced a very expensive belt (I can't remember what it was called but I know they had to take off the manifold to get to it and it wasn't the timing belt). They said that maybe when the engine was hot that belt was loosening up and knocking on something. That fixed it for awhile, but now it's back.

Any ideas? Much obliged.

- Dmoney

Reply to
dmoney

take a rubber hose about 4-5 ft. long and use it as a stethoscope. Just open the hood/bonnet, put one end of the hose to your ear and follow the intensity of the 'click' that you hear through the hose ... Dont get you necktie caught in the rotating parts.

If that doesnt find it, take a spray bottle of water, etc. and spray each rubber belt while the engine is running. The application of water will make the belt run more quiet .... and when the belt that you srpayed becomes quite look for: belt damage, dirt/crud sticking to the belf or metal damage to the pulley/sheeve.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Do you think this could be a bad heat shield - that was mentioned in a previous post and it seemed like a similar problem?

Thanks for the advice,

Dmoney

Reply to
dmoney

To rule this out: How about the common Miata HLA noises?

Ken

Reply to
KWS