Engine dead at 41K

"Dave" wrote

Write Mazda. There is more power in the written word than in phone calls and for that matter e-mail, which really should be consider "written word" but for some reason just doesn't have quite the impact of a letter. What's it going to cost.... a 34 cent stamp, a #10 envelope and a piece of paper?

Reply to
Ken Lyons

I totally agree with Ken. I also think you should CC a few of the local TV stations that have consumer advocate programs - in written form - and include the CC list on your letter Mazda. They had a service bulletin on this issue and you took it up the butt, err, I mean, paid for regular "service" at their dealers and they never informed you of the bulletin, they really should find it in their hearts to, say, give you a crate motor and perhaps work a deal on labor.

That reminds me; I need to get my power antenna replaced under warranty, there's a TSB about how it won't go up when you start the car with the radio on. So far, it's been the gas tank and the fog lights...

... and I loved the look on the face of the service advisor when he started it and the JRSC intake started whistling away; I told him "that's normal, not a vacuum leak" and he punched it a little and the car lunged ahead, further surprising him.

They fixed the fog lamps without further comment. I wonder if they'll say something when I take it in for the antenna? ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Once you've got it fixed, you don't give up on getting some satisfaction from Mazda. I know a couple people who kept at it (with other auto manufacturers) and got checks in the mail about a year after the repair was done.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Before you jump off a tall building, stop and look at your options. Used motors for Miatas aren't expensive - I've seen many a 1.8 for sale on ebay for under 1K (even a couple of long blocks for under 1K). Also, there are several Mazda recycling yards out there that regularly sell the engines for about 1K. Assuming you can get one from the newer model, the swap should be simple - it's extremely easy on the M1, afternoons work at most. And, it doesn't take a Mazda dealer to do it, actually that's the last place I'd go. Find a good independent shop in your neighborhood and they can handle it, especially if it's a direct swap with no need for any electronic changes. All you need is a short block and reuse everything else off your motor. I would go this route rather than tear into what you have because you may find with the damage crank that rod end bearings are gone, you may have gotten uneven cylinder wear because of the rod end bearings, etc.. Of course, I wouldn't give up on Mazda just yet. You need to get higher up the chain of command, like President of Mazda North America. Tell them your an active enthusiast, member of the local club, active participant in various forums, etc. etc. in other words, one voice, many ears. If they think hundreds of potential customers are listening, it sometimes dawns on them it's cheaper to fix a problem at their cost than it is to lose customers. Don't be nasty, but be firm. I find that Fedexing your letter to the man in charge usually gets their attention beyond first class mail because someone had to at least sign for it and it may actually reach the executives desk that way. Good luck.

Tom

92 Red

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Did they give you a "No" in writing? If not, get out the owners manual and flip to the back (or wherever) where they discuss "Problem Resolution". Do whatever is says that you haven't already. If you still don't get any satisfaction, contact the BBB and see if they deal with Mazda (probably not, they're sort of owned by Ford, which doesn't do their thing with the BBB like GM does).

If all else fails, take the lawyer route. Honestly, why should you be fixing this yourself? A bulletin, a receipt for a 30k service -- should be all you need to plead in front of judge.

Don't lay down!!!! That's what they want! They stall, they say "no", they want you to go away. Keep at them, they'll cave eventually when it's obvious you're not taking no for an answer.

My other two cents....

Reply to
The Millers

So what part of the country are you and the car located in. Are we talking about major cold weather. I've seen moisture in the engine oil freeze over nite and wipe the bearings out in the morning. Probably not the case but thought I'd mention it. Dale P............

Reply to
Dale Peterson

Just an update. I've been really busy with work but I finally had a chance to send my letter to Mazda. It was confusing the way they listed the addresses in the back of the owner's manual so I ended up sending the letter to 4 different addresses. At least one should get to the right place.

I also found 2 law firms in town that take lemon law cases for no fee. I don't think my car falls under Ohio lemon law but according to the few lawyers I know (none of whom practice this kind of law unfortunately) there are federal laws that a lemon law layer can use in this case.

I think I'll talk to a lawyer or two while I wait for a response to my letter so that when the response arrives, or doesn't, I'll have a clear idea of what further options might be available to me.

Probably it's not wise for me to discuss my legal options in a public forum like this until the action is taken, or I decide against it. I will let the group know about any response I get to the letters though.

Reply to
Dave

Other people have suggested those advocacy programs. I haven't done that because

1 - I don't feel I have a TV-friendly problem. I'm an upper middle class guy fighting with a company about a sports car. Not some poor mom with 3 kids getting their gas shut off. 2 - I never see these guys take on problems involving international corporations. They seem to deal with smaller local companies.
Reply to
Dave

That's enouraging, thanks.

It's really getting to be a drag suffering with a car I can't trust. I'm really tempted to just fix it. I'd like them to do the work though if I can get them to do it for free.

Reply to
Dave

Do you know who that guy is and what his mailing address is?

Reply to
Dave

I haven't gotten the "No" in writting but my letter will be in the mail in the morning.

BBB doesn't deal with Mazda but I'm ready to contect them if I have to anyway. It can't hurt.

I found some lemon law lawyers that don't charge. So I'm ready to investigate that option.

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Cleveland. It gets pretty cold but it had not been especially cold in December when I first noticed the stalling problem.

Reply to
Dave

I would not push on your theory that the service bulletin has anything to do with it. They know that the bulletin is about premature thrust bearing wear, so if you show up with a blown main bearing and insist that it's the recall, they're sort of stuck.

Just tell them you want it fixed under warranty. Period.

Reply to
Doug Hagerman

How did you see this?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It was in the 1980's, it was in Northern Minnisnowta, it was a couple Mazda's though not a Miata. DP

Reply to
Dale Peterson

I don't like that it has come to this, but Mazda NA really left you with no other choice. It is pretty obvious that you are having a problem due to a faulty thrust bearing. It is their fault for selling cars with bad bearings to begin with. Warranty or not, this is a known defect on their part.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

How did you determine that the bearings were damaged by ice and what type of bearings were it?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Dave,

If you are still leaning towards getting this fixed, there is a 1.8L out of a 2001 w/20K miles on it for sale on ebay

$56956417 with a starting bid of $750.00 and a buy it now of $1200.00 w/a guarantee. It's a long block motor, seems like a lower cost answer to your immediate problem. No, it's not mine, just noticed it as I searched for my next Miata. Tom

92 Red

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

$56956417 > with a starting bid of $750.00 and a buy it now of $1200.00 w/a > guarantee. It's a long block motor, seems like a lower cost answer to > your immediate problem. No, it's not mine, just noticed it as I > searched for my next Miata.>

Thanks a lot for that info. I'm not that comfortable buying stuff that's that expensive through ebay.

Reply to
Dave

So, some more stuff has happened.

The Mazda service department in Irvine has said that the car is out of warranty and they cannot help me. That seem like I'm at the end of the line with them without taking legal action.

I took the car to a local garage for which I've received a good number of recommendations and they sold me on replacing the entire motor. Then there's no worry about any damage done to the parts that remain when you just replace the short block.

But today they called me back and said that Mazda does not make the engine anymore. They don't make 98s either. They still make 97 and earlier though. Seems strange.

So they said they would try a number of rebuild shops that they know of on the west coast. They said that some companies will offer better warranties on their rebuilds than you can get on the new motor.

Well they struck out there as well. No engine available.

Then they checked back with Mazda to see if a 2000 would fit. They said that Mazda told them that, they don't know and they can't find out. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

At this point the garage has said that there's nothing that can reasonably be done.

Short of screaming I don't know what to do.

Still talking to a lawyer.

Reply to
Dave