Engine Management Light

My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it appears to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.

Is it true that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will re-set the light? If it comes on again then we will take the car to the dealer - but would rather be sure before parting with cash.

(3 years old UK - MX5 1.6)

Reply to
John

Disconnecting the battery will reset the light, but it will probably just come right back on again.

You need to get the code read. Once you know the code you will be able to get a much more specific diagnosis.

Reply to
Natman

Will have to wait until Monday to find the dealer open. I was thinking it might be just a glitch that may clear. If it comes back on then at least I know it must got to the dealer.

Reply to
John

The most common cause is a loose fuel filler cap. Tighten it until it clicks a couple of times.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"John" wrote in news:AIz3e.3508$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

One other thing to consider before dealing w/ a dealer. Don't know about the UK, but here in the states there are several auto parts stores (Autozone for one) who will read your error codes for free. See if there's something similar there & save yourself some hassle..

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes