Fading Clutch?

My '91 Miata now has 226k kilometres on the clock and recently I've noticed that when I hit the gas peddle in fourth or fifth gear the engine responds fine but the car doesn't accelerate accordingly. Does this mean that the clutch is worn and should be replaced? Is there any other way of checking to determine whether it's time for a new clutch? Peter Murphy, Brampton, Ontario.

Reply to
Peter Murphy

Yes.

It's time to have the clutch rebuilt.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I think you did pretty good to get it this far... the way I drive my '94 ( spirited ), I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last that long, but then again it's only at 108k km now. My son's '93 MX6 with the V6 is starting to behave as your Miata does... he's got over 335k km on it, so he's just driving it real careful so it'll get him thru the winter. He's not interested in investing any more money in it. To my knowledge, there is nothing to have a quick look at to verify a worn clutch... the symptoms of slipping ( ie. rev's going up without a corresponding increase in speed ) when nailing the gas in higher gears, are the only sign I'm familiar with.

best of luck,

Pete Breemhaar Georgetown, Ontario

Reply to
Simply Pete

Don't forget the Pressure plate, Throw-out bearing, Pilot bearing, and resurfacing the Flywheel. The Slave Cyl. should be rebuilt or replaced as well.

Reply to
chuckk