Fading paint on one panel

Hi all,

I've got a red 1991 MX5 (I'm in the UK, hence MX5 rather than Miata :-)) and the driver's door panel is fading significantly more than the rest of the car. I bought it just over a year ago and don't have its full service history, so don't know whether at some point that door was replaced or painted which could explain the different fading. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I've tried looking for some sort of red polish I could use to make the paintwork look more even, but all the polish and wax I've found all seem to be transparent. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks

Eric

Eric Baber

More likely, that door still has its original paint, and the other panels have been repainted after collision repair.

I see this on my own red '94. The Meguiar's multi-step regimen has brought back the shine, and all panels now match. You'll need an abrasive cleaner to remove the dead paint, a polish to restore color and depth, and a wax to protect the shine from the elements. Don't be alarmed when your rag turns red--it's just the dead paint coming off.

It may take three hours to do the whole process, but you'll be amazed at the result.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sounds scary!! How does paint go "dead"? And what's underneath? I've always assumed that when you take off a layer of paint you're left with plain metal underneath, but from what you say it sounds like there'll be healthy paint underneath instead, is that right?

I tried polishing the car hoping that would do the trick and that's what happened - the rag turned somewhat red. I didn't think to look whether any more paint came off that panel than any of the others. (The polishing helped for about a week by the way, then it went back to the way it was).

If it saves the cost of respraying the panel or even the whole car that's definitely worth it.

Thanks Lanny!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

I've had a look at the maeguiar.co.uk website and think that the following sequence might do the trick, following your advice:

- MedallionPremium Paint Cleaner
- HandPolish
- PolymerSealant

Does that sound about right?

Thanks very much!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

That sounds good. I wonder how much difference exists between their various products?

I use the pro-grade Mirror Glaze stuff in the tan bottles: #9 Swirl Remover (you might need something more aggressive the first time) and #26 Liquid Wax.

I just ran out of #26. I think I'll try the NXT Tech Wax next time.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I believe you've got it right. Maguires makes pretty consistantly good products. They even have a 'clay bar' treatment if you're into endless hours of work for a better look. The problem with the polish only treatment that you did is, it only took off part of the dead (oxidized) paint and then put it's revitalizing oils into that somewhat less dead paint remaining, when the bulk of the oils goes away the truth is revealed. That paint cleaner will be more 'agressive' and the plan is to get down to good solid paint. The amount you're removing is measured in microns, not likely you'll go thru however, use some common sense in how far you take it.

There may even be an extensive article (IIRC) on rejuvinating the miata red paint on miata.net, the results were pretty amazing.

Keep in mind the 'pretty' parts of your car could have been repainted with a clearcoat system. You'll know if no red comes off in the cleaning stage, that would change everything for those panels.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Even more amazing is that people continue to buy red Miatas when white ones are so much better looking even new and don't fade.

Obviously, at some time immemorial, a red sports car was used as a car for a fire chief (red is preferred for such jobs since [1] its inherent drag prevents eager fire fighters from exceeding the speed limit too much; [2] it makes people want to get out of the way; [3] it colors well next to the fire) and people never got around to questioning whether red was really such a hot idea for a sports car not used to attend fires.

Some even put loud horns on their non-fire duty red Miatas...

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Ya, but they do peal don't they! I'm not sure what is so wierd about white paint but it's given more than one mfr problems. I'm thinking of hundreds of GM trucks and other products along with a bunch of white miatas that I've seen divorcing their paint (only the early ones, don't remember seeing any newer ones giving it up).

Neither can compete with the speed of the oh-so-Brilliant Black! Unfortunately, my cars nose oxidizes as quick as anything I've ever seen, regardless of what I try on it.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yes, but red ones go faster, obviously.

;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

You know, there's a reason Henry Ford made the Model T only in black- it was the least fragile color choice.

Reds (including oranges and purples) have always been a challenge to paint makers as the pigments available are somewhat less UV-resistant.

I agree with everyone above- the faded door on the car in question is probably the only original paint.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

How amazing that someone would respray their entire car, minus one panel. Perhaps a more likely option is that they damaged the driver's door and picked up an older one from somewhere else and put it on?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

No, that's silly. Imagine this scenario: every year, a different body panel is damaged, repaired, and repainted. By today, only one virgin target remains.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Should be easy to determine from the overspray what is the correct scenario. There is always some overspray. Variations in overspray: different paint shops/employees.

In case the overspray of the individual parts cannot be determined since the overspray extends across the middle of the soft top, just call all body shops in Tallahassee and ask whether they repainted this car.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leon, is that why they have painted so many "fire trucks" yellow now ? :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Why don't you just look at the VIN tag on the car and the VIN on the door and see if they match ? Would that be too easy ??? If there are no VIN tags on the car parts, ie, doors, fenders, hood, trunk deck and so on, the car has had "some" damage somewhere along the way.

"All" of the factory parts that make up the car will still be there. (in the US, it is unlawful to remove or transplant them to replacement parts.)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

There doesn't seem to be any overspray anywhere.

The answer would be "no" - it was Japanese built, then exported to the UK, which is where I am - so I sincerely doubt any body shop in Tallahassee has had anything to do with it :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Yes, far too easy :-) Didn't realise all the different parts were tagged - I'll have a look.

I'm not in the US, but in the UK. Surely I can't be the only one here who isn't in the US??!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

It sure explains why there is no overspray anywhere. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Absolutely. Since 9/11, people have become much more concerned with the long time it takes red fire trucks to arrive at the scene. Yellow, being closer to white, is a lot faster.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That can happen! My first car (coincidentally a 1973 Mazda Rx-2) was with me for 5 years, and had damage to all four fenders and the hood in four separate incidents (every single one while stationary, and twice when parked and unoccupied). By the time I sold it, of the painted areas, only the roof and doors were untouched.

Reply to
jchase