For Those Using Charger/Maintainers???

Hooked up the charger/maintainer that I got from J.C. Whitney today, a Vector VEC080 "Smart Battery Charger". And since a poster in this grp. alerted me that the cigarette lighter connector would not work, cause of the ignition key needing to be in and on accessory, I used the "Battery Terminal Ring" cable, that has a connector that meets the connector attached to this conveniently long enough cable, coming from the unit.

Now my question. When not in use, during actual driving, is it OK to unplug the unit from A.C. (Of course) and just store the unit in the trunk. OR should the unit be disconnected from the cable (Unplugged), going to the cable attached to the battery. I have a friend who seems to think that if you leave it to the cable attached to the battery, that the units circuitry will draw from the battery/electrical system?? The manual does not say either way. So I think that it is designed to stay connected to the cable attached to the battery, and just store the little unit AC cord and all right there in the trunk.

TIA for any info, PLEASE.

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

Easy enough to stick an ammeter in-line and see if it draws any current while unplugged. Could be either way, IMO.

miker

Reply to
miker

I guess that not too many of us Miata users are using those, HUH???

I think that I am going to like mine. Started up, like the car is used daily :-).

I used the car today, but just unplugged the unit from the A.C. and laid the entire thing into the trunk connected up to the battery. I can not imagine that it would draw anymore than any other accessory, a phone charging, a High Powered audio system, a burglar alarm system, etc. When I got back home making five stops and restarts, I hooked it back up, and the unit was in the green (Battery fully charged).

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

The output is of course DC so there would be nothing preventing some sort of device being present acting as a diode in the output circuit. Could try putting a sensitive ammeter in series when the AC is disconnected to see whether there is any current drain. (Hope this makes sense in US English)

Both our old 2002 MX5 and our Mazda 3 Sport struggle if not used for long runs in the winter so we do have a battery conditioner. It is not used often so I disconnect it after use.

No battery problems so far with our 2007 MX5 coupé.

There is a lot of vehicle theft in the UK and the alarms fitted drain the battery. The remote central locking controls have facilities to disable parts of the alarm system and I guess this is to lessen battery drain.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Then you have an ammeter. Use it on the current (amps) setting, start with the highest setting and work your way down looking for a reading. For amps you hook it in series, not in parallel like for voltage readings.

Reply to
miker

If I were going to let the car sit for days, say at the airport, I would for sure disconnect it from the quick connector :-). As a mater of fact since I'd have no A.C. there, I'd leave the charger/maintainer home :-).

Now that I have it connected up in the garage, I notice, with the help of my stereo, cause when it kicks in, it slightly interferes with my FM reception, since I have my FM antenna sitting on top of the roof trusses of the garage, that it kicks in, On Charge, for about maybe 5 seconds, every so many minutes. Haven't timed the OFF (Fully Charged time), but guessing it is maybe 4 to 5 minutes of off time, 5 secs of charge time. Does that sound about right?? I had exchanged that battery once before under its' 3 yrs free exchange warranty. It's a "Duralast" sold at Auto Zone. And I'd hate to bug them again>>LOL.

I Went out there with my voltmeter, and with the charger/maintainer off, NO LOAD, the battery sits stable at around 13.5 volts. Put a load on it by turning the lights/high beams on for a short while, and watched the battery quickly drop to its' 12 VDC. Turned the lights off and let the charger take it back up, and appeared to be holding at that 13.4>13.5, then came back in the house.

So basically wondering if that sounds about right, the maintainer cutting in for about 5 secs every few minutes to keep it topped off???

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

There's probably lots of ways to approach it, but that sounds as good as any.

miker

Reply to
miker

only from the sight of our vileness. But if you are quite sincere over it, follow it as far as I have done and recognise that we are indeed so vile that we are incapable in ourselves of knowing if His mercy cannot make us capable of Him. For I would know how this animal, who knows himself to be so weak, has the right to measure the mercy of God and set limits to it, suggested by his own fancy. He has so little knowledge of what God is that he does not know what he himself is, and, completely disturbed at the sight of his own state, dares to say that God cannot make him capable of communion with Him.

But I would ask him if God demands anything else from him than the knowledge and love of Him, and why, since his nature is capable of love and knowledge, he believes that God cannot make Himself known and loved by him. Doubtless he knows at least that he exists, and that he loves something. Therefore, if he sees anything in the darkness wherein he is, and if he finds some object of his love among the things on earth, why, if God impart to him some ray of His essence, will he not be capable of knowing and of loving Him in the manner in which it shall please Him to communicate Himself to us? There must, then, be certainly an intolerable presumption in arguments of this sort, although they seem founded on an apparent humility, which is neither sincere nor reasonable, if it does not make us admit that, not knowing of ourselves what we are, we can only learn it from God.

"I do

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

This above post was not made by me, but rather some MORON. And so can not be removed by me. No idea how it was done. So won't apologize since it wasn't me :-).

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

P.S. I do notice though that it was made by someone used to British spelling. Being a Yank, in Calif, even I can RECOGNIZE that.

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

I demand that Jazz_Azz may or may not have written...

Somebody spamming Usenet and out to make it, shall we say, less useable.

Like many others who've seen similar forgeries, you were, unfortunately, moron enough to unthinkingly repost it, thus effectively undoing the cancelling of many, if not all, of the forgeries. (I hadn't seen the forgery to which you responded.)

I find that a quick bit of filtering on NNTP-Posting-Host headers' content of already-received articles tends to work well (but then I see that you're using Google Groups, so presumably you can't do that).

Reply to
Darren Salt

"I demand that,">>>HUH??? No comprendo Hombre>>LOL.

Actually you are right, I wasn't thinking. I should/could have deleted out the quoted text, Sorry. And yes, I use Google grps., preferring the way it formats, and is easily read. I do use OE as a backup when Google has a problem, for another Usenet grp. that I visit daily. But only as a backup, since I do not like the way NGs or email looks on OE. I'm an EX WEBTVer (Actually still have it). And got spoiled using my TV, and sitting way back on my comfortable recliner/couch. So I am also using a wireless Logitech KB/Mouse with this 20" LCD monitor, sitting back about 7' away. And with OE, you just can't make the text large enough to be able to read it from this distance. Before retiring from the local Telco, I spent too many years using some form of a computer, sitting at a computer desk. Don't want to do that again>LOL.

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

news.aloe.org is the news reader that I use on OE, and I just went through the NGs avail. there, and this one was not listed.

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

more to her: but perceived her to lie awake, and to continue in the same frame, for a considerable time. The next morning she asked her, whether she did not cry the last night. The child answered, Yes, I did cry a little, for I was thinking about God and Christ, and they loved me. Her mother asked her, whether to think of God and Christ loving her made her cry? She answered, Yes, it does sometimes.

She has often manifested a great concern for the good of others' souls: and has been wont many times affectionately to counsel the other children. Once, about the latter end of September, the last year, when she and some others of the children were in a room by themselves, husking Indian corn, the child, after a while, came out and sat by the fire. Her mother took notice that she appeared with a more than ordinary serious and pensive countenance; but at last she broke silence, and said, I have been talking to Nabby and Eunice. Her mother asked her what she had said to them. Why, said she, I told them they must pray, and prepare to die; that they had but a little while to live in this world, and they must be always ready. When Nabby came out, her mother asked her, whether she had said that to them. Yes, said she, She said that, and a great deal more. At other times, the child took opportunities to talk to the other children ab

Reply to
miker

lustre, and have no need of worldly greatness, with which they are not in keeping. They are seen, not by the eye, but by the mind; this is sufficient.

The saints have their power, their glory, their victory, their lustre, and need no worldly or intellectual greatness, with which they have no affinity; for these neither add anything to them, nor take away anything from them. They are seen of God and the angels, and not of the body, nor of the curious mind. God is enough for them.

Archimedes, apart from his rank, would have the same veneration. He fought no battles for the eyes to feast upon; but he has given his discoveries to all men. Oh! how brilliant he was to the mind!

Jesus Christ, without riches and without any external exhibition of knowledge, is in His own order of holiness. He did not invent; He did not reign. But He was humble, patient, holy, holy to God, terrible to devils, without any sin. Oh! in what great pomp and in what wonderful splendour He is come to the eyes of the heart, which perceive wisdom!

It would have been useless for Archimedes to have acted the prince in his books on geometry, although he was a prince.

It would have been useless for our Lord Jesus Christ to come like a king, in order to shine forth in His kingdom of holiness. But He came there appropriately in the glory of His own order.

It is most absurd to take offence at the lowliness of Jesus Christ, as if His lowliness were in the same order as the greatness which He came to manifest. If we consider this greatness in His life, in His passion, in His obscurity, in His death, in the choice of His disciples, in their deserti

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

and he alone will know nothing of it. I am not astonished. To tell the truth is useful to those to whom it is spoken, but disadvantageous to those who tell it, because it makes them disliked. Now those who live with princes love their own interests more than that of the prince whom they serve; and so they take care not to confer on him a benefit so as to injure themselves.

This evil is no doubt greater and more common among the higher classes; but the lower are not exempt from it, since there is always some advantage in making men love us. Human life is thus only a perpetual illusion; men deceive and flatter each other. No one speaks of us in our presence as he does of us in our absence. Human society is founded on mutual deceit; few friendships would endure if each knew what his friend said of him in his absence, although he then spoke in sincerity and without passion.

Man is, then, only disguise, falsehood, and hypocrisy, both in himself and in regard to others. He does not wish any one to tell him the truth; he avoids telling it to others, and all these dispositions, so removed from justice and reason, have a natural root in his heart.

101. I set it down as a fact that if all men knew what each said of the other, there would not be four friends in the world. This is apparent from the quarrels which arise from the indiscreet tales told from time to time. I say, further, all men would be...

102. Some vices only lay hold of us by means of others, and these, like branches, fall on removal of the trunk.

103. The example of Alexander's chastity has not made so many continent as that of his drunkenness has made intemperate. It is
Reply to
miker

themselves to be in the hands of God, that He may dispose of them just as He pleases; some, that God may glorify Himself in their damnation, and they wonder that God has suffered them to live so long, and has not cast them into hell long ago.

Some are brought to this conviction by a great sense of their sinfulness, in general, that they are such vile wicked creatures in heart and life: others have the sins of their lives in an extraordinary manner set before them, multitudes of them coming just then fresh to their memory, and being set before them with their aggravations. Some have their minds especially fixed on some particular wicked practice they have indulged. Some are especially convinced by a sight of the corruption and wickedness of their hearts. Some, from a view they have of the horridness of some particular exercises of corruption, which they have had in the time of their awakening, whereby the enmity of the heart against God has been manifested. Some are convinced especially by a sense of the sin of unbelief, the opposition of their hearts to the way of salvation by Christ, and their obstinacy in rejecting Him and His grace.

There is a great deal of difference as to distinctness here; some, who have not so clear a sight of God's justice in their condemnation, yet mention things that plainly imply it. They fin

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

sinned."

168Luke 12:32. "Fear not little flock."

169Phil. 2:12. "With fear and trembling."

170Mark 9:37. "Whosoever receiveth me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me."

171Mark 13:32. "No one knows, neither the Son, but the Father."

172"Clouds shadowed over the light."

173Mark 1:5. "All the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him."

174Mark 4:12. "Lest they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them." [175]Matt. 26:50. "Friend, wherefore art thou come?" [176]Ps. 2:1, 2. "Why do the heathen rage... and the rulers of the earth... against the Lord."

177Is. 8:14. "For a sanctuary and for a rock of offence."

178John 3:2. "We know that thou art a teacher come from God; for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him." [179]John. 15:24 "If I had not done... they had not had sin." [180]Matt. 12:25; Luke 11:17. "Every kingdom divided against itself."

181Luke 11:20. "If with the finger of God... the kingdom of God is come upon you."

[182]St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica.

183"But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: that the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled... He hath blinded their eyes."

184John 12:41. "These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him."

1851 Cor. 1:22, 23. "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: but we preach Christ crucified."

[186]"But full of signs, full of wisdom; you the Jesuits, what you wish is a Christ not crucified, a religion without miracles and without wisdom."

18710:26 "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep."

188"Not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye... were filled."

18916. "This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the Sabbath day. Others said: How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles?"

[190]John 9:17, 33. "What sayest thou of him? He sa
Reply to
Jazz_Azz

do not permit of finality. But we represent some as ultimate for reason, in the same way as in regard to material objects we call that an indivisible point beyond which our senses can no longer perceive anything, although by its nature it is infinitely divisible.

Of these two Infinites of science, that of greatness is the most palpable, and hence a few persons have pretended to know all things. "I will speak of the whole," said Democritus.

But the infinitely little is the least obvious. Philosophers have much oftener claimed to have reached it, and it is here they have all stumbled. This has given rise to such common titles as First Principles, Principles of Philosophy, and the like, as ostentatious in fact, though not in appearance, as that one which blinds us, De omni scibili.5

We naturally believe ourselves far more capable of reaching the centre of things than of embracing their circumference. The visible extent of the world visibly exceeds us; but as we exceed little things, we think ourselves more capable of knowing them. And yet we need no less capacity for attaining the Nothing than the All. Infin

Reply to
Jazz_Azz