Ford Focus SVT as replacement for Miata: your thoughts

After so much enjoyment, I have to consider another vehicle. I'm almost sick thinking that my Miata-ing is either limited or over now. I can't even count the good times I've had with it.

My '90 first-month-of-production is at that point. The tranny failed on me and it's in storage until I can pop another in.

That said, I need a daily driver of at least equal pep and at least equal or greater handling capability. I will not compromise on that.

Small size, but with seating for 4 and cargo space, not necessarily simultaneous, is my desire. I'm feeling the pinch of increased age and responsibility requiring me to have a car that can carry more.

The Focus SVT 2 door seems to fit the bill. I was considering Subaru at first, then a VW Golf, possibly turbo, possibly diesel. But then I was told to check the SVT Focus, honestly never having heard of it before.

It looks very impressive on paper. Those opinions I trust tell me the handling is superb, even breathtaking. The drive train looks awfully good, the braking sounds awesome, etc etc. Magazine write-ups have been nearly universally exclamatory. Price is low. It is overpowered for me, 170@7000, when, based on the 2700 lb. weight, I'd be happy with 135. But I won't complain.

Does this sound like the painful rationalization of someone who realizes the glory days of carefree youth and Miata-ing are nearing an end?

What other cars should I consider in my early search? Needless to say test drives will be in order, but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to narrow the list before embarking on a test regime.

I've found loads of sites and enthusiasts devoted to the Focus and its variants. That is a good thing. I end up buying things partly based on having the resource of other committed users and owners like me.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Then I doh't think you'll be getting a Focus. It reportedly handles quite well...for a FWD sedan. But it's no Miata.

RX-8 is probably the least expensive 4-seater that handles as well as a Miata. Its cargo space is modest, though, since the rear seats don't fold flat. A used BMW might work for you, if you enjoy expensive maintenance. Maybe a WRX--the power would make up for most of the shortfall in handling.

You know you're gonna keep the Miata, and add a sedan or wagon to your collection. A beater '90 isn't worth trading or selling, considering how much you'll miss it.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

New Miata tranny... $2k if you go high-ticket.

New Focus... $20k easily.

but why choose? Get the cheapest 4-door transpo you can, $15k.

Fix the Miata when you can...

and then you don't compromise and try to make one tool do two jobs...

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

The two previous posters had good suggestions. If you equate good-handling with RWD (I don't necessarily subscribe), you might not be satisfied with the Focus. But by all I hear, it is a terrific ride. I assume you are looking used as it is discontinued?

In the small, somewhat utilitarian, FWD camp, I'd certainly also look at the MINI. And you can get Civic Si's pretty cheap now (the styling and strut suspension turned off the former faithful). Being a Mazda-centric forum, perhaps a used Protege5 or Mazdaspeed MP3 (hard to find)?

Otherwise, I'd give the RX8 a long hard look. But fixing the Miata and adding one of the above would be my thinking.

Reply to
Dave
05 Mustang GT.

Cheaper than an RX8, no stoopid rotary engine, More Hp, looks better, RWD, more room in back seat (still not a lot, but.) WAY fun to drive!!!

I've never driven a Focus, but I just never really cared much for them

*shrug*.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I was thinking more along the "$100 '91 drop in" route.

$10k used if I can swing it.

Anathema! I'm sure I'm not the only Miata driver who gags when driving other pathetic handling cars.

That's for certain. The Miata will stay and get fixed in the future. I just have no time to touch it till next spring and need more space anyway. But I just can't bring myself to have a utilitarian car that doesn't perform in Miata ways. I'm looking used and want to keep outlay around 10k.

Sure there are lots of cars that are more powerful, handle as well, have more space, etc. But where's a car with the Miata's fun factor and sublime balance of attributes? Plus I'm not into power and couldn't care less about smoky wheel spins and straight line acceleration. Give me steering and braking and cornering.

The comments so far are great! Even though the possibilities are non-Miata in a Miata forum, I want Miata-enthusiast thinking on this subject.

I've never driven a sport FWD car, so that is a major unknown to me.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

That's your sticking point, Doug. Very few cars handle as well as a Miata; most of them are Porsches and other high-end 2-seat sports cars, and none of them are cheap. You've been spoiled by your Miata, and I'm guessing you haven't driven anything else for awhile. It's really depressing how dull most other cars are. The RX-8 may be the only true

4-seat car that outhandles a Miata and costs less than $60k. Maybe the only one under 4000 pounds, period.

My other autom...er...transportation appliance is an '85 Accord beater. I don't expect much of it except that it always start, haul my stuff, keep the Miata in the garage in bad weather, and bring me or my wife back home reliably. It does all those things, and costs almost nothing to keep on the road. Whenever I'm tempted to grumble at how numbly it handles, I shift my thoughts to the little red car in the garage...mmmm, Miata...what a lucky guy I am to own one!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Age and responsibility? You've been puttering around in a two seater convertible for the last 15 years, dude. Ok, you're 15 years older, but your life sounds like a party based on the responsibilities you listed (basically, none).

;-)

Ignore all that. Keep the car, you know you can't give it up. Why buy another car, though? My winter car is a 4x4 S10 Crew Cab -- hauls kids, groceries, top soil, mulch and the occasional rusted junk I pull off the Miata (like the old exhaust system). Granted you have to have a truck mind-set to own one of these, but trucks ARE fun. It's just a different kind of fun, and you'll have no idea until you've tried it.

The S10 is very powerful and gets out on the highway with no trouble. Mileage sucks at 20mpg, but for comparison, my friend's Protege5 gets 24. He can't haul what I can, though, and deep snow is out of the question.

I don't know why, but I'm getting the impression snow might not be a factor for you?

My two cents...

ps: keep the car!

Reply to
The Millers

Frankly, I'd stay away from American cars, period. I've never had anything but trouble from American cars, the sole exception being my 1967 Chevelle SS. I'd definitely stay away from them if I had a choice. (Although, they seem to be getting better I must grudgingly admit.)

If you were going to replace the Miata altogether, about the only cars I can think of that are anywhere near as much fun to drive would be either the Mini S or the WRX. But, it doesn't make sense to me to get rid of your '90 now, mainly because it's not really worth anything, money-wise. I'd keep it and mod the heck out of it, since it won't be your daily driver you can relax and do whatever you want to it, and not have to worry about getting to work on Monday morning, or having a decent car in bad weather.

Buy a nice used sporty sedan (Civic, Accord, Protege, Maxima, etc.) for comfortable basic transportation, and save the Miata for weekends and nice days.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

Now you're scaring me Lanny. You've correctly diagnosed that I've driven nothing but the Miata in a good while. I am spoiled. I am in for a world of hurt without Miata-like handling. I'm coming to appreciate the Miata even more now.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

rotfl. I've been in it about 2.5 years to be exact. But 15 will be great, since I'm gonna keep this one going for a long time.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Oh,... I didn't realize he was shopping for a car for his GRANDMA!!! Maybe a Buick Lesabre, or a nice Crown Victoria would be comfy :p

Who would want to go from a great sportscar, to a FWD ricebox ? BLEECH!!..

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Larry,

With all respect, You seem to forgot about Lotus Elise. It's about $40k and has outrageous handling. Weights no more than a Miata. It's not a "daily driver", by any means, though.

Regards, Kempi '01 silver

Reply to
Kempi

So, when did Lotus add the back seats?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

How about a Mini Copper S. They are light and handle awsome and have a back seat. About the same price as a Miata too.

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Many friends of mine have the new minis - and while most will never admit it - it's their last one. Reliability is a big problem, parts pricing and availability, service pricing (all of them dealers are BMW trained and have that same attitude...)

I also drove a few of them and they do handle well - but they fell heavy.

They may hold their value over time, but suspect most owners will spend lots more maintaining them over time.

Long live the Miata.

DS

Reply to
RideRT

Only 1 friend of mine has a Mini and it's been reliable for him.

Reply to
Scott Streeter