Freeze Plugs

Hi All, Has anybody had to replace freeze plugs? I just replaced the lower hoses in my '92 and was distressed to find the leak is actually from the plug on the driver's side (NA) #1 cylinder. Advice would be appreciated. Ephar & Bambi '92 Classic Red 'A'

Reply to
Ephar

Not on the 5, but my wife's previous car had a leaky core plug, eventually resulting in such rapid coolant loss that we had to refill it halfway through a 10-mile trip to the garage.

Gaining sufficient access is the usual problem; then you just drill the plug, yank it out, clean up the hole and bang in the new plug with the right size drift. We let a tame professional do it; it was about a pound for the plug and 90 times that for labour.

A common cause (as it was in that case) is missed coolant changes; the head gasket may not be far behind, if you're really unlucky. I know the HG on hers failed a month after she sold the car (an old Citroen diesel). It had a cooling system of such terrible design that no service mechanic had dared empty it for fear of airlocks. Citroen suggested the use of a header tank high above the engine bay, sealed to the filler neck, and even then it was tricky.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Thanks for the info... As it turns out I had to pull the airbox out a few times (once to replace the hoses and once to find the leaky plug) so I can do that in about 5 minutes. With the airbox out of the way I've got about 12 inches of a straight shot to install the new plug... That's like miles after working in the console or under the dashboard! After years of running straight water as coolant I doubt it will be long before others corrode away, I may get them done in ~5000 miles with the timing belt, water pump and other things. Considering the abuse I've put Bambi through:

M y I t's A T ough A utomobile !

Ephar & Bambi '92 A Classic Red The Original Winkin' Miata Limping at the moment, Waiting on parts, Looking forward to Dancing again!

Reply to
Ephar

Not to mention anything made of aluminium. Expect the water pump & head to have some serious corrosion as well!

Reply to
Mal Osborne