Got 'em!

I just this moment got back from a long weekend road trip to Pullman, Washington, where in addition to meeting a bunch of friends for much golf, one friend in particular had agreed to act as my shipping destination for my new wheels and tires.

Toyo T1R 195/50s mounted on 949Racing.com's 6ULs in 15"x7.5"...

...and I love them already.

After mounting them up?with Blox forged aluminum lug nuts (they're so light that you think they're plastic!), and torquing them with my brand new MotoMaster torque wrench, I took them on a shake down cruise to make sure that the wheels were properly seated and lug nuts were still properly torqued. Then on the way back from that end of the journey, I pushed them a little...

...boy have I got to get used to having sticky tires again! Despite trying to find the limit of adhesion under braking, I couldn't force myself to brake hard enough get a wheel to lock up even for an instant, and there was no corner I could find to go around at an appropriate street speed where the tires even felt mildly pressed. At first, I was so far from the limits that the car felt... ...docile, but the truth is that it was simply so much more capable that my normal driving made it feel that way.

The next day was largely taken up with golf and while I tried to find a little run to make out into the farm country to give the new shoes a better workout, I didn't know the area well enough to really find the right road. But we did get a little rain after the golf and I was finally able to produce a little wheel lock.

Then on Sunday, I asked the wife of the husband and wife team who were putting on this golf event for us where I might be able to have some fun, and she pointed me to Wawawai Road east of Wawawai-Pullman Road (look it up on Google Maps; fun!), and I had my first bit of fun.

So to all who help me with recommendations: thank you!

Here's a few quick picks that I took:

I'll get the car washed and try and take a few more beautiful shots in the next few days.

Next: suspension!

Reply to
Alan Baker

And now that I've taken MiataMiata through a wash, I've expanded the gallery.

:-)

Reply to
Alan Baker

Nice wheels!

Reply to
Carbon

Thanks!

They work at least as well as they look, too.

:-D

Reply to
Alan Baker

I wish I had known about them when I was shopping for wheels. They would have looked great on my Ti grey MSM.

Reply to
Carbon

Yup. I almost bought the aluminum finish, but I'm very glad I made a last minute switch to nickel.

949racing.com

Check them out.

Reply to
Alan Baker

They look good either way but I suspect the nickel will be easier to clean....

Reply to
XS11E

nice! but...

it needs moar low

oh hai :)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

It needs some lowering, yes...

I'm interested in both form AND function with function being the more important.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Well....

At $149 a piece-the same price as for every other finish in that size, I'm don't think that it's actual nickel plating.

But I wasn't expecting it to be.

:-)

Reply to
Alan Baker

dunno, older I get, more form I want :)

anywhooo. busted 2 tires few days back, so I can go shopping now. thinking to go wide. 6.5" is standard width(I guess for 195/50/15s),but I'd like something wider, 7.5 or 8. I'll use current wheels for winter setup...

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

Well from my own experience I can now tell you that 7.5 is definitely not too wide for 195/50-15s. It may vary depending on the actual dimensions of different tires, but my Toyo T1Rs look like they were made to be on 7.5" rims.

Reply to
Alan Baker

">

I think he's just meaning that that nickel finish color may not show brake dust as quickly as the aluminum finish. I have to agree that the nickel finish looks incredible. Nice choice.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks.

The whole thing has got me enthused about my car again. I was actually out there cleaning all the plastic, rubber and the top this evening.

And I'm also really looking forward to doing a suspension refresh. If you can believe it, the car is running on the original shocks, springs and dustboot/bumpstops.

Reply to
Alan Baker

As an obsessive reader of the FM webpage, I suggest the following for a keeper NA:

1990-97 NB (to update early cars with the later suspension) FM V-Maxx coil overs
- $695 US FM butterfly brace
- $399 US Flyin` Miata sway bars
- $199 US Not exactly an inconsequential amount of money, but they would transform your car.

I'm about to pop for the little enchilada. I've been trying to resist, but...

Reply to
Carbon

Seen those, but my plan is to go much higher in quality. My plan for this car is "do it once, do it right".

So the FM coilovers I'm look at are the AFCOs.

Yup. That's definitely on the list.

New bars are also on the list...

...as are all new suspension bushings (as well as diff, etc.)...

...maybe even all new V8Roadster tubular control arms.

:-)

Frankly, money isn't much of an issue when it comes to this. Even if I do it all up high-end, I'm probably going to spend less than $10K on the whole thing, and that will bring my capital cost of ownership to only about $30K for 25-30 years of ownership. That is far less than most people spend on cars.

Reply to
Alan Baker

You know, if you do get the new control arms I have an idea about a power upgrade...

Reply to
Carbon

So do I... ...and so does my good friend Terry...

...the master machinist hotrod/dragster engine builder..

:-D

Reply to
Alan Baker

"Alan Baker" >

It's getting SERIOUS around here ;-) Too much fun Allen! Go for it! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Well it won't be happening soon if it happens, and if/when it happens, I'd love to find something more unique to do than just a straight LS3 kit... ...but I don't know what that might be yet.

Reply to
Alan Baker