Got one!

Hey everyone. I just got a '91, white, 75k miles, 5spd, pwr steering, windows. First time driving one when I took it for a spin....what a blast! Such a fun little car. I'm the third owner. The last guy had it for 3 years and his wife only drove it putting about 6000 miles on it in three years. The first owner was some old lady who BABIED the thing, religious oil changes, maintenace, everything. This car is in great shape for its age. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know my long search has ended! Unfortunately, I won't be able to drive the car for some time right now because checks have to clear and I have to work things out with insurance. So I probably won't be driving the car for about a month... :(

Now to sell my current car....anyone interested in a '73 std. Beetle? Heh.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Congratulations!! :)

The fastest color too! :))

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I've heard much about the early white paint having problems. This car was well taken care of, and it only has a small scratch on the side of the rear bumper. Any tips on taking care of the paint?

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Just like any car, the best thing you can do is to wash it every couple of weeks (sooner if there are bird droppings etc.) and give it a good wax every

3 to 6 months. Like many new cars, the paint on Miatas is not very thick, so go gentle on the heavy buffing etc. A heavy hand will take you right through the paint to the primer.

Gus (91 BRG)

P.S. Mine just turned 175,000 on the clock and still runs strong and looks great.

Reply to
Gus

Anthony, Congrats! I love the white ones, they really look sharp. I think Leon even put the super light BBS wheels (from the 92, 93 and ?) on his white Miata and it looks awesome (consideration for down the road)

In the mean time have fun, be carefull. Learn the handling limits a little at a time, they are relitively high and if you break the rear loose and panic by lifting throttle, you're chances of swapping ends is pretty good. Stay in the throttle (or SLIGHTLY back off) and counter-steer, just keep the front end pointed in the right direction.

I'm going to post a white paint question, you might watch for the "thread"

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yeah, well I don't plan on learning the car's limits on public roads where swapping ends could result in death of myself or others :P

There are plenty of university parking lots around here that empty out on weekends....I could head in there for a couple minutes and screw around before some bozo called the cops on me (funny thing is, is that the person who would call me in is probably driving like that on the STREET regularly...) There is also a local autocross club I may look into, but I'm not a particularly competitive person. I already have a lot of knowledge about driving smoothly and the right lines to take through corners; but I could only go so far with that in my previous car. But I would like to learn the car's limits just for safety's sake. Well, I'll have to wait and see about the white paint. I have noticed white paint that's problematic on a lot of Japenese cars from the early 90s...most notably the Mazda MPV vans. I've seen plenty of Hondas in white with problems from that time as well.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Actually, they are the 95 ones, which are heavier.

Neither am I, but it is really fun.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen