H6024??

Last night I found I had a broken headlight on the 1992 MX5. On my way home I stopped at a couple of places to get a new one and found AutoZone was out and their computer showed their other nearby stores were also out.

I headed across the street to Walmart and found one there, they had only two.

I wonder if the H6024 going to become a scarce item? Apparently nobody uses the old 7" round dual beam headlight any more...

Reply to
XS11E

I think I still have a couple somewhere in the basement, removed when I installed Hella E-codes about 10 years ago. I can't recommend enthusiastically enough that you do the same.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

As long as WallyWorld has them I'm OK and I'm completely satisfied with the existing lights which have several advantages over the Hella, one being that they don't cost anything since they're already there! That appeals to my basic cheapness!

Reply to
XS11E

I have 5 of the H6024's that were working when pulled, so they should not be scarce around here for a while. ;-)

The Hella E-codes did not save me from my nighttime suicidal deer encounter, but no headlights would have.

There are also a lot of people getting along fine with their stock headlights from start to finish.

I do like the improved lighting of the Hella E-codes enough to spend the extra money on them, but I don't really feel like the car becomes less safe when I switch from my Miata to another Miata that is running stock headlights.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Let's not talk dirty now, OK? "Spend money" is not an acceptable option!

I'm saving all my extra money to give to the IRS!

I'm putting it off as long as possible but sooner or later, sometime between now and April 15th, they're gonna GET ME! :-(

Reply to
XS11E

I'm talking dirty?

You mention the 3 worst letters than can be strung together in English, then go on to speak of the worst day of the year.

Shame on you. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

LOL - you guys do not know how easy you have it :-)

Over here in the tax capital of the world I dream of the US taxes (and the weather since we had an depressing 27 hours of sunlight this January).

Kind regards

Bruno, Denmark

Reply to
Bruno

Until it is time for medical treatment. It has been a long time since I have had health insurance that was not crap, and currently I have none at all.

I am not familiar with the health care system in your country, but I am guessing, (hoping?), that the tooth that I need to have crowned soon would not cost you over USD $800.00 out of your pocket like it will with me.

I am guessing that you get more benefits to cost ratio than we do, but again, that is only a guess.

The estate taxes here are insanely high and the state has collected sales tax on my Miata 3 times, which just seems wrong somehow...... (see, sort of on-topic) :-)

The sunlight is another matter, I am used to a lot of skin cancer inducing rays for most of the year.

We had almost a week of cloud and rains and that was bringing me down. It was at least 75F and sunny for much of the day today and it will be blazing hot before too long.

Pat

Reply to
pws

i think the h6024 will be around for a long time. lots of cars use them.

20+ years of jeeps for instance. many volkswagons, and so on. they may not be readily available in retail stores forever but most certainly by mail order. then again the hella or like retrofit lens/bulb combination and the like are always and option. like xs11e i am frugal and didn't want to pay for hella but didn't want the cheap plastic junk sold on ebay either. i found a set of glass lens that were discussed in a volkswagon group. they are made by empi, model 9311, and are h4 conversion kit lamps similar to the hella. they are probably not as good as hella but they are a vast improvement over the sealed beams that came with the car. these lens are completely flat on the front and so look a bit more modern than the original sealed beams. they do have a visible horizontal cut off like hella suggesting that there really is some engineering in the cutting of the lens. they only cost me $25 for the pair including the bulbs. i see them currently on email for about $40 and they are probably available elsewhere. i recommend them to anyone that doesn't want to pay double (triple?) for the hellas. however the hella are probably dot approved and i can't recall if these are or not.
Reply to
Christopher Muto

fwiw if you search ebay for "empi h4" you will get a short list of things available in ebay stores. the one offered by ispwest vw parts has great photos of this item.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Here in the UK - where health services supposedly are free - glasses and dental work are getting filthily expensive. There's a good reason why medical tourism is on the increase - from the UK, but especially from countries like the US. In case you're not familiar with the concept it's where you go to, say, Thailand or India for two weeks, get first-class medical treatment in top-notch hospitals for a day or two or however long whatever it is you're having done takes, and then you hang around on the beach for a week or two to recover. The whole package often ends up significantly cheaper than the medical intervention alone back in the home country.

It's now a well-established business model and is acknowledged in various countries - when I flew into India in August I had to fill in the landing card, and the question asking about the purpose of the visit included "tourism", "business", and "medical tourism". Why not, say I... I suspect that for $800 you'll be able to get your tooth crowned plus a week's holiday in India. I can highly recommend it, it's a great place to visit :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

The Hella E-code is not DOT approved, apparently because it lacks the three little bumps for machine aiming (is that still done?).

The Hella Vision Plus model is approved, but it has an inferior light pattern and is particularly unsuitable for use on NA Miatas--there's a weep hole that isn't at the low point when the barn doors are closed, so the reflector collects condensation.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have to agree, I was VERY unpleasantly surprised to find them not readily available at local stores. I'm wondering if the stores were temporarily out or if they don't plan on carrying them any more?

Reply to
XS11E

Sealed beams are rubbish - they were only kept in production by archaic US lighting regs. Japanese NA imports come over to the UK with them, and you can spot them easily because they're so dim and yellow compared to H4 halogens.

A lot of people are fitting the HID H4 conversion kits now, but they're borderline-legal (the regs really require headlamp washers and dynamic self-levelling).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Ooh, thanks for mentioning that, Lanny. I think I have to replace one of mine and I think that was one of the models I found.

Reply to
tooloud