Head gasket

Yesterday when I backed up out of my driveway and then put it in 1st I smelled antifreeze. I have checked my oil and coolant and neither looks contaminated or milky. I put my hand over the exhaust pipe and I don't get any moisture or antifreeze smell. My engine is not running hot (not that I can tell, for what its worth my temp. gauge sits a little left of 12 oclock at operating temp). I just can't figure out why I'd smell antifreeze other than it came out of the exhaust. There is no apparent leak or loss of fluid that I can tell. Maybe its nothing, maybe I have a small head gasket leak, I just don't know at this point. Anyone out there have any suggestions?? I sure would like to know once-and-for-all that my head gasket is either good or bad. I've owned the car for about 10 days, its a '97, and maybe I'm just worrying too much.

John

Reply to
John

It would help to know the mileage of your '97. Possible sources of the smell:

- leaking water pump

- leaking heater hose, caused by oil dripping from cam angle sensor O-ring

- leaking heater core

- spillage from overfilling radiator

- your neighbor has a coolant leak (!)

You could get a leakdown compression test, but before you bother just monitor your coolant level for awhile. And watch for drips under the car.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"John" wrote

My former OTM developed a small leak in the heater core that resulted in an anti-freeze smell, but no coolant left on the driveway and a very slow loss, like 4 oz every two weeks. As Lanny suggested, I'd watch the coolant level for a while before getting too concerned about the head gasket.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

As soon as I posted I realized I didn't state the mileage...its 82k. Uggg, coming home from work, sitting at a bunch of lights started experiencing preignition. First time I ever heard it from this car. I listened with the hood open and there were very distinct/loud clicks as I begin to rev the motor. Last weekend I got the CEL for multiple misfires so I just ordered some NGK blue wires and plugs. Hoping that all my problems are bad wires/plugs. I did read that bad wires can produce an electrical induction on the closest wire and cause preignition. So I guess I'm not really asking a question, just talking.

John

Reply to
jchristman