headrest speakers

I and my fiance are quite new to the Miata club. We bought a 1997 M last fall... it took time to get used to it, and now we are beginning to enjoy the car (I posted a message here on driving across the US in a Miata... the car now has a luggage rack, a bike rack, and we already took it several times for day-long trips to upstate NY with the top down!)

Anyway, my M1 has 2 factory speakers in the doors. I would like to replace them with 6-1/2 Polks (which I already have lying around), and I was also thinking of installing a pair of headrest speakers in addition, presumably 6-1/2 as well.

2 questions:

- does addition of headrest speakers significnatly improve the sound - i.e. is having speakers closer to your ears much different from simply increasing the volume of the ones which are further away (in the doors);

- assuming that I will add the heardrest speakers... I don't understand where exactly they put them in an M1. I saw an Infinity package upgrade at www.perfmancebuyer... but from the specs it was not clear where to put them.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

runnerXCskier.

Reply to
revyakin

I think all 1997 M Editions came with speakers in the headrests. They're accessible via zippers in the upper headrest seams (look under the flap). To hear what they do, play with the front-rear fader on the radio.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You put two 3.5" speakers in EACH headrest. MOST don't use them all the time, it messes up the staging too much. Having them is to use OTHER than the mains, not together so much. Put them on just a bit for "fill", turn them all the way up when on the highway with top down :)

Reply to
MLB

Hopefully they'll sound better than the factory ones in the

96M. In order to hear them at all (even sitting still), you had to crank the fader all the way to the back and turn the volume up. And they didn't sound good once you could hear them. I always kept mine shut off completely.
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news:40b2ab55$0$17260$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.visi.com:

Sounds like you've got the out of phase problem.

Reply to
MLB

Grant, I recently installed new Clearwater door and headrest speakers in my '91B. I found that each of the right channel headrest speakers was wired with polarity backwards. The sound difference is incredible. I too had never really used the headrest speakers for the same reasons as you mention. But now, the stereo effect is really pronounced. I should have made this change 10 years ago! Rod

Reply to
rodney hook

Very interesting. I'll pass the info along to the current owner of the aforsaid 96M.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Thank you all for the comments!!

Reply to