Heated Steering Column?

Miata and car gurus, I beseech thee:

When I took the key out of the ignition after the drive home today, the key was very hot. Touching the metal the key was inserted in did not quite cause burns, but I wasn't keeping my fingers on it any more. Obviously, this is not normal, so my question is - what might this be? Is this something that anyone has seen before? Can I pop off something and replug in something else? Can I drive the car, or do I pack it in and call the nearest dealership? I don't really want to light the steering column on fire, have the airbag explode, or anything else for that matter, but as I don't want to cook bacon on the steering column, I think I have to do something. I await your sage advice.

David '99 Silver/Tan

Reply to
David Lovinger